Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: This felt a lot safer on the SawStop

This felt a lot safer on the SawStop

A friend asked me to make him some teak vent covers for his boat. I would think twice about plunging onto a standard saw to make stopped slots, but it didn't feel TOO sketchy on the SawStop. Of course, you still think about kickback, but this particular blade is not very aggressive.

They turned out nicely. The hardest part was getting the spacing increments right to get 1/4" slots. Just thought i would share here:

JR

Blog Entries
    Glad everything came out ok. Personally I would have used a router....

If I understand you correctly. Yikes!

Those type of cuts scare me. Saw Stop or not.

Nicely done...that is one I would not have attempted. However, you have set it up well.

Yikes . Nicely done but I surely would not have attempted that - 8 times and then there were other covers to make?

SawStop would not have saved your head if you had set the piece in a bit crooked or otherwise lost your grip on that oily teak.
    PLEASE KIDS - do not try this at home!

I don't know if your post is a gloat - a sigh of relief - or a cry for help . Glad you and they came out good.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

I think I probably would have just ripped a wider piece a bunch of times, cut out the middle, and glued it back together. If you use a think kerf on the bandsaw you would still get a pretty good grain match. I don't think I'd even attempt that on a router table.

Tommy MacDonald made a similar stopped cut on an episode of "Rough Cut". But his was a non-through cut for a dado and he clamped the front stop to the table top rather than the fence.
    Last edited by Roy Turbett; 01-31-2015 at 6:42 PM.

I don't see too much of a problem doing it but I also can't see why a SS makes any difference in safety either.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

I wouldn't hesitate to do it w/ a SS. Although, I'd probably use a 1/4" box joint blade setup so I didn't have to dink-around w/ the fence too much.

I wouldn't try it on a non-SS.

I almost titled it "anyone else do stupid stuff like this?" I did stand at the left end of the saw to do these. So the main danger would be a hand following a piece getting thrown. The Tiger rip fence makes it very fast to get consistent spacing. It is rare that I do anything using a non-dedicated machine setup, or work on anything besides a cabinet door for that matter.

I probably would have lifted the blade into the piece, as opposed to lowering the piece onto the blade, which is what I assume you did. Much less stressful that way, IMHO.

I thought about raising and lowering, but I wanted even ends with minimal cleanup. That and I had to remove the handle on the wheel to fit the old style Tiger fence assembly. 😉

The only person I personally know that ever got hurt by a tablesaw was doing something very similar. The first cut or three went fine, but at some point some stress in the wood released causing the wood to squeeze the blade, and the results were rather violent. At that point, he had probably 40 years using a table saw as a professional cabinet maker. I've never even considered doing a plunge cut on a tablesaw since then. I would have used a router too.
    Last edited by Tom M King; 01-31-2015 at 9:22 PM.

Plunge cutting can be very useful and done correctly is not that dangerous..... that being said I only use it as a last option, and I definitely would recommend it to someone who hasn't had a lot of experience.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last