Thread: Moments of Stupidity

Moments of Stupidity

The older I get, the more common moments of stupidity seem to materialize. Someone used my Hammer Winner and said it stopped working after he was finished. Fair enough it has a finicky safety switch. So I took out the switch, cleaned it, meter checked it with an old Simpson 260 and reinstalled it. Saw didn't work. Then I took of the main switch panel. Oh my, far more complicated than anticipated. At the switch, an open existed to the safety switch. Long story short is that the safety switch is wired into the emergency stop. He had simply turned the saw off with the emergency stop. Reset the switch and it runs well. Guess the safety switch did need adjusting.

Senior moments seem more common the more senior I get.

Doesnt sound like stupidity to me, Rich. How could you have known he used the emergency switch? I probably wouldnt have looked there either if I already knew the safety switch was sensitive.

I sharped my LN #41/2 chipbreaker. I put it all back together and wondered why it cut so poorly.
    I am just happy when I take a shower in the morning and nothing falls off.

I prefer to keep my personal graveyard private.

-Tom

What tic's me off is people who borrow tools and bring them back not working with some lame but excuse. When I borrow something it always gets back to the owner in working condition no matter what. Go Pats!!
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

After may years of "repairing" stuff the first thing I check these days is if the electricity is on. And then I check the plug and only after that will I start checking switches.

I can't recall ever doing anything stupid. I did set my hands on fire once, but I meant to do that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] "You don't have to give birth to someone to have a family." (Sandra Bullock)

I just pulled a stunt like that with a dryer. Pluged it in, it ran fine, no heat. Asked wifey if she had ever seen it flash L2? Nope, new one to both of us. Out comes the electrical tools, verified that power was in all the right places in the outlet, tried again, no heat. Repeat the diagnosis, same result, two more times. Finally seat the plug all the way into the outlet, the L2 (line 2) warning goes away and we dry cloths. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    The older I get, the more common moments of stupidity seem to materialize. Someone used my Hammer Winner and said it stopped working after he was finished. Fair enough it has a finicky safety switch. So I took out the switch, cleaned it, meter checked it with an old Simpson 260 and reinstalled it. Saw didn't work. Then I took of the main switch panel. Oh my, far more complicated than anticipated. At the switch, an open existed to the safety switch. Long story short is that the safety switch is wired into the emergency stop. He had simply turned the saw off with the emergency stop. Reset the switch and it runs well. Guess the safety switch did need adjusting.

Senior moments seem more common the more senior I get.
    stupid mistakes simply underscore the fact that we are human and, thus, subject to the foibles and frailties that is the human condition.

Quote Originally Posted by Moses Yoder View Post
    I can't recall ever doing anything stupid. I did set my hands on fire once, but I meant to do that.
    Reminds me of a friend who removed the top deck from his riding lawn mower (not sure why). Forgetting he removed the top deck, he went to put his foot down on the deck when mowing and cut off his big toe. He asked his wife to take him to the emergency room and she asked why he cut off his toe. He responded, "today was the day I wanted to cut off my toe." All his friends now call him "Nine Toes."

Reminds my of the time my neighbor's lawn mower wasn't cutting right. I checked it and he put one blade on upside down

Do not spray WD-40 onto the rear bearing of an electric dryer, while it's running.
    It won't fix the squeaky bearing, and will force you to find the fire extinguisher.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night