Thread: Where can I save money on my shop build, where shouldn't I go cheap?

Where can I save money on my shop build, where shouldn't I go cheap?

I have a pretty large stable (38x50ft) that I'm having converted into a woodworking shop. On a related note, I'm also having about 22x50 added on for automotive stuff. It's a pretty large bill to swallow so I'm wondering where you would save a few dollars.

For example, should I save a few dollars and sheetrock it later? That might also be nice if I decide I have the layout all wrong and want to move power or compressed air around. Or maybe I'll kick myself as stuff rusts in my uninsulated shop?

Which things can wait?

Edit: I just saw my profile pic for the first time in ages. I was a baby when I joined this forum.

You can insulate without putting sheetrock up until you're happy with lay out. When you lay out your air and power just build in some adaptability. For example putting some capped off tees in possible future locations of your air runs, capped off wyes for expanding dust collection ductwork, extra junction boxes roughed in for wiring added machines later.
    Lighting you should spend on because even though that profile pic stays baby-like your eye sight won't and its easier to add up front.
    Envy you for the work space.
    Last edited by mike mcilroy; 01-31-2015 at 9:50 PM.

I would insulate and sheetrock (or OSB and skimcoat) now. I think the cost of insulation and sheetrock will wash with the increased heating/cooling costs. I would wait on all interior walls. Move in the tools, starting working in the area and then decide where to put up walls. I would put in a larger breaker box, but minimize on the outlets for now. Those can always be added later (they make old work boxes for a reason). Depending on how you build out your compressed air system, that can follow the same plan.

Insulation greatly depends on location. Even though my shops are in Mississippi and it get's hot in the summer I have a lot of shade and air flow and have gotten by w/o A/C (or heat) since 2011. I'm anticipating insulating, and A/C, but have gotten by without with little pain.

I'd advise being VERY spendthrift in putting in lighting for the present time. LED prices are falling like a rock. I was anticipating replacing LOT's of T12's with T5HO at a cost of about $50@, but now LED's are competitive, use less energy, and easier to hang.

DON'T skimp on wiring. I've 400 amps, about 8 240V circuits and am glad I do.

Get plenty of storage. I lined many of my walls with pallet racking and it's a great pleasure to be able to get EVERYTHING off the floor, plus it makes it easier to use a leaf blower instead of sweeping .
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Setting up a workshop, from standing tree to bookshelves

I agree with Goerge. Don't skimp on wiring and lighting. Get more than you think you need on both. I'm planning my third shop now. The first two lacked in sq ft, amps, and lumens. All more expensive to add later.

I am in the insulate and put up sheathing now camp. I ran all my electrical wiring in flex conduit and surface mounted it. It makes it a snap to move/change wiring as needed. I have a 200 amp panel in my 24 x 36 shop. I used OSB for my interior walls and painted it gloss or satin white. Good luck with the build.
    Joe

Do you have any skilled or unskilled labor that you can contribute for a reduction in the bill? There is abound to be some initial demo work, certainly you could do a lot of that labor. If there is a hole to be dug or a mess to be picked up you can do it if you have the time available to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Meliza View Post
    Do you have any skilled or unskilled labor that you can contribute for a reduction in the bill? There is abound to be some initial demo work, certainly you could do a lot of that labor. If there is a hole to be dug or a mess to be picked up you can do it if you have the time available to be there.
    This has occurred to me but to be honest, I'm probably better off focusing on earning more money than hauling off debris. I'll have more decisions to make when the first quotes come in.

Nice sized shop, Matt!! WOW!! David Marks of Woodworks fame did the same thing when he bought his house in Santa Rosa, CA: It was a small horse ranch and he converted the horse barn into his shop. You absolutely will want to insulate and seal those exterior walls. You absolutely want to minimize both the temperature and humidity gradients that the outside of your shop will experience. I'm assuming you're a hobbyist so look into possibly getting the shop with its own meter and at least 200 A (which i think should be PLENTY for a very long time unless you go all pro) and plenty of slots for future expansion. It is fun yet stressful time setting up a shop!! I look forward to a large one some day...not quite sure when that will be because that means we're moving.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I saved a lot of money fixing up my shop by doing my own work. Do you have time in the evenings to work, or do you work 15 hours a day at your work? Many people do not realize they CAN work in their off time. Post pics of your job as you go and ask how to accomplish the next task. Step by step. I also saved money by buying material on sale, had to store it for a while before using it, because if you wait to buy, you pay full price.