Thread: Help! I am trying to remove a General 130 planer cutter head...

Help! I am trying to remove a General 130 planer cutter head...

I am trying to remove a General 130 planer cutterhead and install a Shelix one.
    I found a good literature on this subject, https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...Planer-Upgrade, but still need help.

My current problem is, ... I cannot loosen a nut(self-jam, I think) which keeps a worm gear at the end of the cutterhead in place. First, I am not sure which direction to rotate the nut to loosen because the revealed thread part is very slim. Second, I don't know how to hold the cutterhead while I am loosening the nut.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Images Attached Images

OWWM or Canadianwoodworking guys will know more about the 130 than me. I would use a piece of wood and tighten the table to lock the head. Nut should rotate same as the direction of the head to loosen. Dave

If you have compressed air & can borrow a proper air driven impact driver (not the toy cordless versions) the nut will come off without even holding the head to stop it rotating.
    Chris

Everything I like is either illegal, immoral or fattening

Nice planer, on a side note, your gear box is like the Delta's planers of that size with brass worm gear. Just make sure that your gear box is full of oil all the time. The brass worm gear is hard to come by.

Quote Originally Posted by David Kumm View Post
    OWWM or Canadianwoodworking guys will know more about the 130 than me. I would use a piece of wood and tighten the table to lock the head. Nut should rotate same as the direction of the head to loosen. Dave
    David,
    I hope OWWM and Canadianwoodworking guys will hep this topics. (I tried to join Canadianwoodworking yesterday to ask this question but was declined because my IP or email address was identified as a spam. Oops.)

I tried the "a piece of wood tighten between the cutterhead and the table" method and it was unsuccessful. I might have done it weakly without confidence. I checked my table saw and found that the same rotation direction would loosen the (self-jam) nut. However I am still not quite sure about the direction because the revealed thread(if any, in the last photo) might suggest the opposite way. I would try it with more confidence(and more muscle) if it is general consensus here.
    Last edited by Dongil Kim; 02-01-2015 at 5:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Parks View Post
    If you have compressed air & can borrow a proper air driven impact driver (not the toy cordless versions) the nut will come off without even holding the head to stop it rotating.
    Chris,
    I don't have the impact driver but will try it if I cannot find a solution. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Hotchkin View Post
    Nice planer, on a side note, your gear box is like the Delta's planers of that size with brass worm gear. Just make sure that your gear box is full of oil all the time. The brass worm gear is hard to come by.
    Tom,
    I will not forget to fill the gear box with fresh oil. Thanks.

I asked this question at the OWWM following David's advice, and got helpful advices and solved this problem.

I really appreciate all of you who provided me kind advices and suggestions.

Happy Woodworking!
    from Heyri

130 may be the sweetest small planer ever made. Enjoy. Dave

Dongil: that planer looks brand new. I'll bet you bought it new. The pictures remind me that I need to get mine up and running. Started a thread 2 years ago, just trying to get my new angle iron base welded. Will have pictures to boot soon. I priced the bird head, but not willing to spend the $1300. Greg

Successfully done.

I have removed the old cutterhead and installed a Shelix.
    Thank all of you who kindly participated in this thread to help me. ;-)
    Attached Images Attached Images