Thread: Fun with milling

Fun with milling

I've always enjoyed natural edge tables/etc, but always hated the limited options I have in texas, plus the crazy prices it would cost to have stuff shipped in. So last year I broke down, got a large chainsaw and an alaskan mill. I found a local kiln and rented some time and just picked up today some pecan and mesquite that will make some nice tables/desktops/cofee tables.

I also got a bunch of mesquite back that a guy is commissioning a dining table from:

This may take some more epoxy.. hah

I always think the coolest projects are the ones that have some sort of link to family or sentimental value, so to be able to take a tree from someone to turn it in to something from it is a fun complete circle.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

Wow, pretty wood!

I never knew Mesquite grew that large. The Pecan wood has some nice tone and quality to it.
    I think both woods will make for beautiful pieces of furniture.

As an aside;
    How did the Alaskan Mill work for you? and what sized power head did you use
    I have an older Echo 660 that I was thinking of using fork the power head, but didn't know if it could run the Alaskan Mill.
    Last edited by Mike Cutler; 02-01-2015 at 8:00 AM.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

Thats sure beautiful wood Alex!

I too enjoy taking someones fallen tree and making a box, etc and giving it back to them. Its just neat.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

mike, mesquite is deceptive. It usually doesn't get that big because farmers/ranchers kill it as quickly as they can to prevent it from taking over grazing land. The biggest I've cut has been about 30" across. In south texas near the mexico border they can get 2-3 across and 8' in length, but I am lucky to find 12-18" diameter and more than 5' straight, plus the mesquite in my area has a lot of cracks/wind shake.

I have a husqvarna 372xp, 395xp and 3120xp with bars of 36"/50"/72".

The mill works well, but you quickly learn to sharpen a chain regularly while cutting, some big trees need a touchup every cut. It is labor intensive, but economical.
    Grady - "Thelma, we found Dean's finger"
    Thelma - "Where is the rest of him?!"

I sawed some walnut this week. The county took out some trees along my farm, and they removed the trees with the stumps attached. So I just cut the roots off, and then washed the stumps and put them on the mill log, stump and all. I got some interesting boards. I did not edge them, so they are live edge, and they spread out and made stacking them with stickers with wide gaps between the boards. In a year I will have some interesting boards to play with.

I have a Husqvarna 390xp. That's 88cc's. I run a 28" bar with a ripping chain from granberg. Can't beat that ripping chain. It cuts faster and better than regrinding a standard crosscut chain. The bigger the saw the better off you will be. Faster cut and less muscle to push through. Just my humble opinion.