Thread: alum part

alum part

After an alum part has been anodized and then lasered, can the part be stripped and re-anodized?
    Trotec Speedy 360 80 watt laser
    Custom CNC router 4' x 5'
    GrapthTec FC7000-75 vinyl cutter
    Keiling KL6090S CNC router
    Ricoh SG3100DN sublimation printer

Yes, you shouldn't have any issues stripping and re-anodizing the part. Just make sure you alternate between strip & Desmut steps (also depends on how thick of a coat type II/III you're working with).

Thanks chris!

I've had a few parts that still showed where the engraving was at. Now I sandblast the design away and use a random orbital sander to clean up my pieces before sending them back for re work. May be the company I use but I always make sure to prep the metal before sending it back.
    Good luck
    Epilog Helix 60 watt, Epilog 36EXT 75 watt, 2 Rotary Attachments, 3 Jaw Chuck Rotary Attachment, Kern 52x100 400 watt putting out 580 watts, Photobrasive Laser Mask, Rayzist 1924 Blast Cabinet, ikonics blast cabinet, SR3000 Resist, Epson 1400 Printer, 1 Paragon Glass Kiln, Covington Wet Belt Sander/Polisher, 2 JDS Air Filtration Units, 14" Stone Saw, and A Few Other Things I Forgot About!

Braden your part either wasn't stripped long enough, the bath's concentration was weak or the bath wasn't set at room temp 70F just to name a few. When I strip parts, I like to scotch brite and polish them before another run.

Parts can be stripped and recoated without any evidence of a previous mark.

I have rejected many parts and sent them back for recoating. I do not do this in house.
    Last edited by Mike Null; 02-02-2015 at 10:44 AM. Reason: sp
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

Looks like I need a new source then!
    Epilog Helix 60 watt, Epilog 36EXT 75 watt, 2 Rotary Attachments, 3 Jaw Chuck Rotary Attachment, Kern 52x100 400 watt putting out 580 watts, Photobrasive Laser Mask, Rayzist 1924 Blast Cabinet, ikonics blast cabinet, SR3000 Resist, Epson 1400 Printer, 1 Paragon Glass Kiln, Covington Wet Belt Sander/Polisher, 2 JDS Air Filtration Units, 14" Stone Saw, and A Few Other Things I Forgot About!