Thread: Finish for sugar maple nursery furniture

Blog Entries

Finish for sugar maple nursery furniture

I'm making a crib for my soon to arrive granddaughter from the WOOD Magazine 3 in 1 plans, along with a matching dresser, chest and night stands. The cases for the additional pieces are furniture grade maple plywood and all the other wood except the drawer boxes is super maple. The poplar drawer boxes will be waxed and not otherwise finished.

I would appreciate recommendations for a finish that is child safe as well as durable enough for a growing child over the years. Ease of application is a plus.

Thanks
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Fiirst, all finishes manufactured since the mid-1970' are required to be non-toxic when cured.

If you are looking for a clear finish for children's furniture, I hard to go wrong with an oil based poly varnish. A clear waterborne finish would also prove durable.
    Howie.........

I would go with shellac. It's not the best in any one category, but it's approved by the FDA for human consumption (it's used on pills). Even if the little tyke gnaws through the slats the finish won't cause any problems.

I too vote for a curing wiping varnish or oil (tung) + varnish. I think it will hold up better than shellac. Perhaps more critically, shellac is a bear to pad on and apply well if you're not used to it. I think it's wiser to practice on something smaller first. Wiping varnish on the other hand, is not difficult to make work reasonably well. A tung+varnish mix would be even easier.

I would go with a poly finish for this one after the experience I have with the crib finish on my child's crib. It's a lacquer and chips off like crazy. All the kids furniture is like that and comes off with a fingernail scratch. Shellac, although the safest in theory, will not be very durable against a teething child gnawing on the rail. A fully cured finish is basically inert to the human body, as Howie says. Just like swallowing a small plastic part really won't cause harm provided it doesn't get stuck somewhere. The harmful chemicals are really the ones that thin it but completely evaporate in the curing process. I wouldn't use a curing oil like BLO or tung on this either, simply not enough protection.

I would use one of the finishes from Tried and True. They all work very well, the Danish oil is even good as a finish for eating utensils. I buy it at Woodcraft.

http://www.triedandtruewoodfinish.com/products/

Another thought. Babies don't stay in cribs very long. Most--in my experience--would be out of cribs well before they have teeth to gnaw into the wood.

Also keep in mind that babies "leak" liquids that will damage waterborne and shellac finishes. In addition, waterbornes and shellac don't stand up to frequent washing and wiping with household, ammonia based cleaning products.

I still would go with an oil based poly varnish for best durability.
    Howie.........

I built a crib and changing table 7 years ago out of cherry. I used a finishing schedule of shellac and then a few coats of waterlox original. 7 years later and the crib and changing table are still in great shape.

Good Luck.
    Greg

Blog Entries
    Making progress on the nursery furniture. My daughter wanted the dresser first, so here it is (minus it's finished top).
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    Hmmm, not sure why the second picture showed up rotated.

Tomorrow I start on the crib. The cases for the chest and night stands are done, but they are the lowest priority.
    - Mike

Si vis pacem, para bellum

Nice job, Gramps
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    Another thought. Babies don't stay in cribs very long. Most--in my experience--would be out of cribs well before they have teeth to gnaw into the wood.
    Not in our house. I figured my daughter was part beaver- she really made a mess out of the headboard rail. LOL

Shellac will scratch more easily than oil based varnishes, but no finish will actually repel teeth marks from children (or dogs).

Quote Originally Posted by Howard Acheson View Post
    Fiirst, all finishes manufactured since the mid-1970' are required to be non-toxic when cured.

If you are looking for a clear finish for children's furniture, I hard to go wrong with an oil based poly varnish. A clear waterborne finish would also prove durable.
    This is a significant piece of information that few people know or believe. I would be more worried about what a baby would pick up on a several year old carpeted floor than consuming a few bits of cured varnish.

It's not the chewing end of the baby that can kill shellac.

Infants are tiny little "super ammonia producing factories". I may be an ancient old buzzard, but, some things are etched in your memory for eternity & the first wiff of a full diaper pail is one of those things you don't forget.

That's not exactly true....

The EPA regulated lead out of retail paint products, but, there's still plenty of toxins in paints and coatings other than lead.
    Last edited by Rich Engelhardt; 03-27-2015 at 10:23 AM.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon