Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm about to start a Strat build - My First Ever....

StewMac has a fret calculator that does all the math for you: http://www.stewmac.com/FretCalculator. I used it to get the measurements for a 33.25" scale to match a Rickenbacker bass.

They also have a Dual Fret Scale Template that you can use with a hand saw or a table saw to cut the fret slots perfectly. It's pretty foolproof. They sell a template for a bass that has both 34" and 35" scales.

Hey Jim,
    Don't let me confuse you.....The Strat will be my first ever build and THEN I will build my 5-string bass. I want my bass to be as close to the Michael Tobias MTD-535 as possible.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

That's OK! I seem to get confused easily these days. I'll call it a side effect of cabin fever! That should hold 'em off for a few days!

Today, Chuck and I get together to look over the guitar hardware that we ordered and is now in. We also now have our wood. Needless to say that the excitement is building about the guitar build that Chuck and I are about to start on. He is building his own '62 Strat and I'm building mine. I guess that makes us building them "together".
    I'm really excited to be doing this as this is one item that is on my bucket list.
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

OK, here are 3 quick pics of my own guitar. The color is Chrysler Perl Blue. The neck is a laminate of Arkansas Black Cherry, Hard Maple, and Rosewood. The body is painted Alder. Handmade the nut and the action on this baby is extremely sweet!!! Parts and electronics came from Guitar Fetish. Thanks to all of you for help, advice, encouragement, video's, and much more!!!

guitar1.jpg

guitar2.jpg

guitar3.jpg
    Dennis -

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Peacock View Post
    Well, I'm having troubles finding a 5-string jazz type layout with a 35" scale length. I want a 35" scale length on my bass build because...to me....the 35" "speaks" better to my ear than the standard 34" scale length.

I'm also thinking Bartolini pickups and active electronics. Thoughts?
    Stew Mac and other places have the onine fret calculators (even temprement). I'd like to to hear the 35" scale. Fretting would be easier but comes with more accommodation for fret buzz, so your setup needs to be good.

While I might go for the Ricky shound, the active Bartolini should be a good choice. Take care with the route for the battery box. Consider a piezo for the bridge?
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

Very nicely done Dennis!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Beautiful work Dennis!
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"