Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Any of You use a Scroll Saw?

I first got an old Powermatic for next to nothing from the late 60's. I use it to do accurate pierced work such as a handle I cut for a serving tray. I like it for more furniture scale work because I run coping saw blades and it cuts more like a slow bandsaw. I also have a Excalibur that I use for fretwork and veneer work. In my opinion if you do average furniture work and have the space find an old Delta or Powermatic "plunger type" saw. It will come in handy for that occasional precision pierced work. Modern scroll saws are better suited for the craft side of woodworking because they can hold small blades.
    My woodworking theory: Measure with a micrometer, Mark with chalk, Cut with an ax.

Bryan,

That offered a very informative synopsis. Thanks for that information. I have a fondness for old Powermatic tools and will keep that in mind. Craft work proves bewildering and complex. Perhaps one day more patience will allow for craft work.

They come in handy when one of the kids looses a pet.

0618001212[1].jpg
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night