Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Outlet in the floor?

Let me chime in and suggest wood on your floors. Much, much easier on knees, legs, hips, and dropped tools. I mention it as you may want to plan your outlet around a slightly raised surface.
    Paul

One thing to consider... Assuming the table saw will be in the middle of the room, so you will also need to think about dust collection. A hose running across the floor is much more annoying than a cord. So if possible, I would put your ducting under the slab that since you're in the enviable position of starting from scratch.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Outlet buried in floor is going to fill with saw dust. Elevated above floor is better.
    I have had floor boxes in my shop for 22 years with no issues, elevated means a trip hazard.

I'm not an electrician, but isn't there a minimum height above the floor for basement outlets? Are there any water concerns in your basement?

I would run conduit and set boxes so that covers will be flush with finished floor. You can countersink screw holes, and use flat head screws in the metal covers. With a knockout in the cover, conduit rises can be placed when, and how high you need them. If not in use, a flush, gasketed cover will solve any trip, or dust issues. Conduit is cheap, and will allow pulling wires any time in the future. Check with your inspector first.

http://www.garvinindustries.com/elec...ers/52c6-vt-ss