Thread: Waterproof Pruning Tool Storage for Pickup bed

Waterproof Pruning Tool Storage for Pickup bed

I have a commission to build a custom box for a professional pruner who has a short bed Toyota pickup. Essentially I am building a three sided slatted box with the open end toward the tailgate. I plan on using teak and half-lapping the verticals and the horizontals. Across the top I will set removable Rhino bars for his three orchard ladders. The whole thing has to be easy to disassemble, which isn't a problem. He now wants three stackable box trays to haul specific things and sit on the tailgate at the site. The bottom would be a canvas bag of tools, the middle for the blower and small chain saw, and the top for buckets. I am in Seattle and it rains a lot. Is it possible to build the lower two to be waterproof with the bottom of each box being the lid for the next yet seal?

Don't see why not.

Not the sequence you would take but for visualizing:

Build the boxes. Stach middle on top of bottom, getting it exactly in line. Take some 1 x material, the width of the box. Handplane or route a shallow [1/8" deep] rabbet along one side, the full length - the width of the rabbet should be half of the 1x [so 1" rabbet on a 1" x 2"]. Take this stick, and attach it - fat part on top - to the upper box in the stack.

Now you have an overhanging lip. THen, get some good-quality weather strip and attach to the top edge of the lower box - or the bottom edge of the top box. The purpose of the rabbet is to give you some wiggle room when stacking the boxes - without that, you would have to be dead-on each time. The overhang lip keeps them aligned int eh stack, gets the weatehrstrip lined up, and is a shield against water infiltration.

The only problem wit this approach is: Let's say the boxes are 16" deep x 30" wide. YOu now have a strip running around them for overhang/seal, and the total OD will be 18" x 32".
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Have you priced teak lately? Around here, it goes for $35-$40 per board foot. That's pretty spendy to go in the back of a pickup. You might consider redwood or western red cedar. They're about one tenth the cost of teak. They're also native to your area, which'd be a nice tie-in for a professional tree guy. Or if you need hardwood, consider white oak. It is reasonably durable outside, and still only $5 per bdft or so.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Have you priced teak lately? Around here, it goes for $35-$40 per board foot. .
    I know it will be pricey and subject to sustainabilty issues, but for this person money is no object. I thought I would develop my cut-list visit Crosscut Hardwoods, and then decide. I appreciate the wisdom in what you say.