Thread: simple spray recomendations for two part polyurethanes over epoxy

simple spray recomendations for two part polyurethanes over epoxy

Hello
    I have been using a gravity/cup gun to spray waterbased System Three WR LPU (Linear Polyurethane - 2 part) onto a complex curve product I make and seal with several coats of WEST SYSTEM clear coat epoxy (hardener 207) I have tried a few different nozzle sizes, most recently a 1.0 while diluting this product about 25% (as recommended by the manufacturer). The guy who runs the cabinetry shop where I apply this stuff has the same opinion (very hard to apply correctly but a very awesome finish material) The product gives an amazing, durable finish but is near impossible to apply without runs or other imperfections. I am pretty much done trying to make it work but it anyone here has experience with it or anything like it and has a silver bullet I would love to hear it.
    IMG_3187.jpg
    So, I am now going to experiment with an acrylic polyurethane 2 part product called ACRYLIC POLY UV PLUS. The data sheet viscosityacrylic poly uv plus data sheet.pdf does not give a viscosity. I am told this product is similar to what auto finishers use. I would like to use a cup/gravity gun to apply this stuff. is there something that would be better (hoping not to buy more spray equipment)?. Can anyone recommend anything? I am looking for the correct nozzle size and pressure (if applicable). I also am looking for ways to figure out what the viscosity is. The manufacturer does not provide a recommendation for application other than "Conventional, airless spray, brush or roller". My hope is that this stuff, being thinner than the waterbased stuff, will apply more easily.

Spray Paint 101:
    Thin first coat. Don't try to get that glossy coat. Let the first coat set up and get sticky. It should hold the 2nd heavier coat.

Read up on the health hazards of isocynanates, the major ingredient in the catalyst for that finish.

Thanks for the replies. Mike, the product I was using was a glossy finish product. I have tried spraying it on thin with inconsistent results and too much time put in experimenting. Jamie, I would love to keep using the water based stuff as it is less toxic but it isn't working. Do you have any suggestions?

you'll most certainly need a viscosity cup so you can determine the proper cap and needle to use. as for staying waterborne every major manufacture makes it, just a matter of figuring out who's you want to use. is there any reason not to change to another type of finish? are you set on using only poly? would a conversion vanish or 2k urethane work?

when i was messing around with waterborne stuff a few years ago i just could get the results i was looking for from what i was using/trying. many improvement to waterborne finishes have taken place since i switch back to solvent based finishes, but the cost of most of them that would probably work in the same or more than the solvent stuff. i have the proper personal protection equipment for solvent based.

I'm definitely no expert on finishing, but what is the piece depicted in the photo - equestrian helmet? Amazing workmanship and I'd love to know how you did it.