Thread: Laser Engrave Outline Versus Fill

Laser Engrave Outline Versus Fill

I laser engrave wood using Corel X7 and Lasercut 5.3. In Corel, I sometimes make an image using Fill with no outline and sometimes an Outline with no fill. In both cases the color is RGB. I export to a .dxf file then import into Lasercut.

The engraved wood seems to look the same no matter which method I use. Both are very good.

It seems that the results should be different. Or should they?

Thanks,
    G. Weike 60 watt 1630 Laser Engraver
    G. Weike 130 watt 2436 Laser Cutter
    Lucas 618 Sawmill
    Solar Kiln
    Nyle L200 DH Kiln
    Woodworking Shop

Lasercut see it both the same I think. if you unfill and hair outline and tell it to engrave it engrave the whole thing as if its filled but tell it to cut and it will just cut the outline. if you tell it no out line I think you get a bitmap and its engrave only but yes the look the same
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

LaserWorks does not recognize fill, it is completely ignored. I would assume that LaserCut is the same. You will always only the see the outline regardless whether or not it was displayed as fill in Corel.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    LaserWorks does not recognize fill, it is completely ignored. I would assume that LaserCut is the same. You will always only the see the outline regardless whether or not it was displayed as fill in Corel.
    Yup, Rich is right, in LaserCUT you have to select what you want to do on the drop down, Cut/Engrave/Grade Engrave/Hole

LC doesn't read lineweights/fills/blocks/hatch patterns
    You did what !

what does grade engrave do/ Haven't tried it yet cause I don't know what its for
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander