Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Maybe I missed it, but does sawmillcreek have 3d forum?

We have a Dimension BST768 from way back and it has been a workhouse. Resolution is 0.010" and it prints abs. Slow, but built like a brick chicken coop. We also have an Object 30 Pro, so yes....

neener neener neener I can print CLEAR plastic! Only 55k. It has more than paid for itself since not everyone can afford to buy one, but wants one off clear parts. The material is more expensive than the best liquor I've ever drank in my life. $750 bucks for a 2 Liter. That there is some EXPENSIVE Mountain Dew.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Hilton View Post
    I don't use any free programs. I've been doing 3d in Lightwave and autoCAD for many years, they're still my go-to. I've heard great things about Autodesk's 123D line of free apps, but I haven't had time to try them properly yet.

http://usa.autodesk.com/autodesk-123d/
    I tried them and, well, they are free. I hate 123D. It insists on phoning home just to open a file. In fact you can't open ANY file if you block 123D's internet access.

Myself, I go to Hexagon, Modo and Zbrush. Of course those are not free by any stretch of the imagination. In fact the three probably cost more than the 3D printer.

I found access to an older version of Simplify3D (past version of their demo). Sadly they no longer offer ANY demo so I had to resort to these measures (thank you waybackmachine to try it out. Its not a molder, but its the slicing and layup engine. Because its an older version, it didn't list configs for my brand new Taz5 (just released late Feb 2015) so I had to learn myself. Which is probably a good thing as I learned more than if I had been given the proiles. I think its got WAY better support generation than Cura, and it allows manual placement of supports The slicing is way faster and does a better job than Slicer or Cura. And the generated Gcode is faster. I recent example that I compared. I loaded up a STL (same one in both apps). I set the same layer sizes, same fill rates but I disabled supprts so I could compare even steven. Cura and slicer both produced an estimate of 53 minutes print time. When I run the same STL in Simplify3D with all the appreciably comparable settings set to identical settings, it produced a print that estimated at 18 minutes. I printed it in both. Both estimates were pretty spot on. The prints were different in quality! The Cura sliced one was noticeably poorer quality than the same STL printed from Simplify3D. And the Simplify3D print took 1/3 the time! I have to say, I am pretty impressed and I will probably buy Simplify3D. Its $150.

Bottom line here is yea there is free stuff out there. Yea,it works, mostly. But, some of the pay applications have proven to me they are worth the investment.
    [SIZE=1]Generic Chinese 50w 300x500
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Corel X7, Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4
    Modo, Bryce, Poser

If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran
    That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. - Manny from Ice Age

Here is an example of a clear part off of our Objet30 Pro after post processing.

20150303_073704.jpg

Mark that is incredible.

I have looked at the many offerings from Stratasys, but the cost of materials and the post processing seems to make it unprofitable for production runs of the designs I have. Have you found it profitable to use the Objet printer?
    GWeike LC6090 130 Watt 24" x 36" Table
    Shopbot 96 x 48
    Kossel Clear 3D Printer

Larry,

Our Objet30Pro paid for itself in one month. We landed a huge contract for production parts when we showed our customer the prototypes that the objet made. Now, don't get me wrong, that picture I show is with additional post processing. This entails over exposing the UV sensitive clear material, basically they call the process photo bleaching. A large LED lamp that outputs 6500K for its color temperature, we leave the part exposed for 24 hours. Next we progressively sand starting at 400 grit to 1000 grit, then we wet sand to 12000 grit, then we polish using the headlight restoration kits. Then we wash the part to remove any left over polish. Then we hit it with a clear coat. So it can be a lot of post processing but it was worth it in our case.

The Objet30 pro will do other materials in various colors and they just came out with a material called duris which is close to simulating polypropelene. They also have a high temperature material. The nice thing is the resolution on the printer is 100 microns so we can do some really accurate stuff.

There will be a 3D printing conference taking place in Northwest Indiana next weekend. Check out http://midwestreprapfest.org/ if you have an interest in 3D printing. It is absolutely amazing how far this technology has come. We make a lot of our low stress tooling for fixtures at work on our Dimension BST768. That model is obosolete, but ours has been running since around 2002 (so I've been told).

We also have an Objet 30 pro that prints clear but that technology is a liquid photopolymer, so the 3D technology is more like inkjet but it has a resolution of 100 micron. I went to this show last year and it was busting at the seams. This year, they expect 5,000 people, everyone from hobbyists and hackers to people like me, wanting the technology of a $50,000 Objet in a $5,000 open source system. Hope to see you there! I will report on what I see next weekend.

What this technology does for people is amazing. If you need a certain jig that has a tolerance of +/- 0.010"? No problem, you can print it up. That being said, I work with Autodesk Inventor and the design process to printing is seamless. At a more basic level, I don't know what is out there for low cost or no cost open source 3D CAD programs.

What have I been able to do with the 3D printer? More work jigs than I can shake a stick at. When they wear out, we print more. On our dimension, we can print up production intent models, sand them, fill them with body filler, sand them, paint them and you are going to be hard pressed to not think they didn't come off a finished plastic injection molded tool. 3D printers will never replace injection molding but they are a great complimentary tool.

If it would take you a couple of days to make a jig that you can draw up in 3D and print while you sleep...well...we do it. Right now for us, it is feast or famine. We can go months running the printer 24/7 then go a few days with nothing to do. But, trust me, this technology is here to stay.

Want a pool table leg? Design it in 3D, 3D print it, 3D scan it, and voila, you have your CNC wood engraving equipment doing custom designs. That reminds me, I have to check out 3D CAD to 3D woodworking CNC....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ross View Post
    At a more basic level, I don't know what is out there for low cost or no cost open source 3D CAD programs.
    I've tried to list all the opensource and legitimately free things here: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/CAD#3D

I'd be glad to know of anything which I missed.

List of inexpensive (and expensive) and free stuff which is license limited here: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.p...oftware#3D_CAD

There will be a 3D printing conference taking place in Northwest Indiana next weekend. Check out http://midwestreprapfest.org/ if you have an interest in 3D printing. It is absolutely amazing how far this technology has come. We make a lot of our low stress tooling for fixtures at work on our Dimension BST768. That model is obosolete, but ours has been running since around 2002 (so I've been told).

We also have an Objet 30 pro that prints clear but that technology is a liquid photopolymer, so the 3D technology is more like inkjet but it has a resolution of 100 micron. I went to this show last year and it was busting at the seams. This year, they expect 5,000 people, everyone from hobbyists and hackers to people like me, wanting the technology of a $50,000 Objet in a $5,000 open source system. Hope to see you there! I will report on what I see next weekend.

What this technology does for people is amazing. If you need a certain jig that has a tolerance of +/- 0.010"? No problem, you can print it up. That being said, I work with Autodesk Inventor and the design process to printing is seamless. At a more basic level, I don't know what is out there for low cost or no cost open source 3D CAD programs.

What have I been able to do with the 3D printer? More work jigs than I can shake a stick at. When they wear out, we print more. On our dimension, we can print up production intent models, sand them, fill them with body filler, sand them, paint them and you are going to be hard pressed to not think they didn't come off a finished plastic injection molded tool. 3D printers will never replace injection molding but they are a great complimentary tool.

If it would take you a couple of days to make a jig that you can draw up in 3D and print while you sleep...well...we do it. Right now for us, it is feast or famine. We can go months running the printer 24/7 then go a few days with nothing to do. But, trust me, this technology is here to stay.

Want a pool table leg? Design it in 3D, 3D print it, 3D scan it, and voila, you have your CNC wood engraving equipment doing custom designs. That reminds me, I have to check out 3D CAD to 3D woodworking CNC....
    I work with 3D printing like you. Not for production parts but it helps with just about every other process. I'm not sure about your last sentence though. Why scan something 3D printed? The geometry is already digital. It's building the final product one step too many.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

Blog Entries
    There will be a 3D printing conference taking place in Northwest Indiana next weekend. Check out http://midwestreprapfest.org/ if you have an interest in 3D printing.
    Thats only a 3hr drive from Milwaukee. I think I may just go down for the day. It looks like a lot of fun!
    [SIZE=1]Generic Chinese 50w 300x500
    Lulzbot TAZ 5 3D Printer

Corel X7, Photoshop CS6, Lightroom 4
    Modo, Bryce, Poser

If You Can Read, Thank A Teacher. If You Can Read It In English, Thank A Veteran
    That's what you do in a herd: you look out for each other. - Manny from Ice Age

Z-Corp Z650......never again..biggest boat anchor I ever purchased, expensive to run, expensive to buy and slower than molasses in -50 degree temperature
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Sheldrake View Post
    Z-Corp Z650......never again..biggest boat anchor I ever purchased, expensive to run, expensive to buy and slower than molasses in -50 degree temperature
    Did you not know what the expenses and speed would be before you purchased?

I know someone with a Dimension 3D printer. It is a boat anchor for him too. Something about needing to keep up with service fees and updates else the printer no longer works. I think he also said that if you chose to start the services again you would need to pay for all the months that you missed. He's quite an unhappy customer. And I know another guy that works in special effects in Hollywood. He seems pretty happy with his Dimension printer.

I know another place that runs two Dimension printers, I've seen and held their parts. They are better than what I can do, but honestly, not by that much. Those machines cost 50 times what mine did. I'd say they make parts about 1-1/2 times better. Sometimes that extra little bit makes all the difference. Much of the time it doesn't.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

I built my own 3d printer a couple of years ago. It is a Tantillus. Due to its small build size and precision parts I put in. it does much better prints than the ABS Dimension I used at my previous job. When I print a test cube it typically has less than 20 to 30 microns of error The catch is it takes a lot more maintenance e.g. nozzle cleaning and filament feeder cleaning. I made some mods to it which makes the maintenance fast so its not a problem. It can print PLA ABS PETG and Nylon which is a bonus. I try to laser cut as much as I can because it is so much faster.

Edit. The biggest bonus was it only cost $500 for everything.
    Universal Laser VLS6.60, Tantillus 3D printer, Electronic design
    edns Group, Mairangi Bay, Auckland, New Zealand

Keith --- do you have a B.O.M. for your upgraded Tantillus? I've been considering building one, and doing a precision unit would help me to justify it.

Here's a pretty fast 3D printer:

http://3dprint.com/51566/carbon3d-clip-3d-printing/

I just picked up my second 3d printer. It's a da vinci 3d printer. Bad support, but I love the prints. Even with the negative reviews about the average print quality I am happy. It's does a better job then my other 3d printer. I'm thinking the bad reviews may have been with a previous software version. Mine really prints fanastic.

It also has a 3d scanner built in. Very fun!
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt