Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Maybe I missed it, but does sawmillcreek have 3d forum?

Maybe I missed it, but does sawmillcreek have 3d forum?

Just wondering if anyone here has a 3d printer. I got a basic CTC printer. I like it, but it would be nice to have a forum here for 3d printing. Or maybe there are so many out there it does not make sense. I'm still looking for a good one.
    Redsail x700, 50watt & Shenhui 350, 50 watt

A forum would be usefull.

However one of those things where changes are occurring in the technology regularly. Maker magazine runs a special every year on where things are in the field.

Of concern (for those who aren't aware). Type of material to print, clarity & detail able to print, size of area to print to (does it need a heated platter or not), software & ease of use. I imagine support from the seller would be a good thing.
    Gwieke 1290-100W,
    Trotec Speedy 400 - 80W
    Corel Draw X4

I have three 3D printers and my son has one. I think the best deal for a good dual head printer right now is the Flashforge Creator or the Flashforge Dreamer. The Flashforge Creator is a clone (improved) of MakerBot's original Replicator. That was the last printer that MakerBot made open source, MakerBot no longer sells the Original Replicator, they haven't for some time now.

There are at least a couple of companies selling cheap printers that take proprietary cartridges, there are chips in them that keep track of filament usage and subsequently shut down the printer when it decides that it is time to replace the expensive cartridge. I would stay away from those.

I don't know if 3D printing fits in with the Sawmill Creek theme, I would welcome such a sub forum but do not expect it.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Currently we don't have enough people who own 3D printers to justify a new forum. We will create one as soon as we have the need, for the time being our Laser Engraving Forum will probably be the best place to share information.

Make sure that you use the tags feature on every thread so we can find all of your threads and move them when we create the new Forum. I have tagged this thread using 3D printer.

Blog Entries
    I have a printer (bought it to make positives for lost wax mold making), but in many cases I found it easier to use my laser to make the positive. When I finally get around the putting together my fiber laser, the 3D printer will likely end up on a dusty shelf.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I link-dumped everything I could find about it here: http://www.shapeoko.com/wiki/index.php/3D_Printing when making my repastrapoko (a conversion of a small CNC to have a 3D print head.)

Given how simple it is to do, it's easy to get good value out of it if one can find something it makes sense to print.

We could have a 3D forum, but it would likely be too slow to read (if you have a 3D printer, you'll get that joke)
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Dan - you have been so helpful on this forum that I think I'd like to give back a little help to you. I'll PM my address and you can send the 3D printer to me, no use having it take up valuable space on your shelves. I'll even let you pay for shipping so you can still feel like you are contributing... No need to thank me.

Gary

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Hintz View Post
    I have a printer (bought it to make positives for lost wax mold making), but in many cases I found it easier to use my laser to make the positive. When I finally get around the putting together my fiber laser, the 3D printer will likely end up on a dusty shelf.

I was recently given a fused deposition hobby 3D printer (Cubex Duo) because the previous owner thought 3D printing was as simple as pressing a button. So far, my only "money making" use for it is scale versions of large products used for demonstrations to investors. My other use for 3D printing is generating prototypes prior to investing in injection mold tooling. For this type of work, hobby lasers (the kind that use filament) don't compare to "real" 3D printers. I outsource when I have to get serious.
    I design, engineer and program all sorts of things.

Oh, and I use Adobe Illustrator with an Epilog Mini.

I bought one and it's been really fun. Not really making any money on it. I have placed it in my shop window recently, just to maybe get peoples attention.

I also have one, Delta type, and would love to see a forum on Sawmill Creek. I am sure it will be slow starter, but it is a booming market with a lot of competition in both printers and forums to serve the printer users.

I respect all the jokes about the 3d printers as they are slow, but I am certain in a couple years the ever changing 3D printer market will offer fewer laughs and a more serious business opportunity to those who figure out how to harness it.
    GWeike LC6090 130 Watt 24" x 36" Table
    Shopbot 96 x 48
    Kossel Clear 3D Printer

I haven't made money off my printers directly except one time where someone essentially demanded to purchase a part I had printed. I mostly use it in building prototypes (or more accurately, proof of concept designs) but it has come in handy for making replacement parts of some things - and just general playing around.

For the last couple months I have been designing a small boat. Being able to 3d print a model of it is very useful. It makes a difference being able to hold it in your hands.

At CES I saw a printer that I would love to have. It is the Resin based XFab from DWS Labs. They say it will sell for five grand. The parts it made were indistinguishable quality-wise from the $90K printer next door. They looked like they came out of an injection mold. The FormLabs resin printer was good too, quite a bit cheaper but the parts were no where near as nice as the XFab.

As far as speed, I am not expecting any great leaps in performance any time soon. There is website http://www.makexyz.com where you can setup an account and list your capabilities, then people that want something printed can contact you to get the part they need. Because of the time it takes to print something it tends to be more expensive than most people expect.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Harman View Post
    I haven't made money off my printers directly except one time where someone essentially demanded to purchase a part I had printed. I mostly use it in building prototypes (or more accurately, proof of concept designs) but it has come in handy for making replacement parts of some things - and just general playing around.

For the last couple months I have been designing a small boat. Being able to 3d print a model of it is very useful. It makes a difference being able to hold it in your hands.

At CES I saw a printer that I would love to have. It is the Resin based XFab from DWS Labs. They say it will sell for five grand. The parts it made were indistinguishable quality-wise from the $90K printer next door. They looked like they came out of an injection mold. The FormLabs resin printer was good too, quite a bit cheaper but the parts were no where near as nice as the XFab.

As far as speed, I am not expecting any great leaps in performance any time soon. There is website http://www.makexyz.com where you can setup an account and list your capabilities, then people that want something printed can contact you to get the part they need. Because of the time it takes to print something it tends to be more expensive than most people expect.

I'm drooling. 5k is not so bad.

I think DLP with resin is very promising. There are many in the market and
    http://www.kudo3d.com/products/
    looks real good the SW seems OK and limitation is size vs resolution.

I am quoting a customer right now on what could be nice little job with my laser. The jig he gave me to fit his pieces in were done on the 3d printer. I let him know I could do the same thing if he need more jigs.