Thread: Orbital Impressions II

Orbital Impressions II

Orbital Impressions II is the second turning in a series of four that I will be doing from some slabs of Red Coolibah burl. It’s always fun to tell people that Coolibah is a wood that many of us have heard of as kids but really don’t know anything about it. They look at me funny and then I tell then about the song Waltzing Matilda.

As in the first one, I continued the theme of having “orbital impressions” around a central “sun.” The piece is 13 ¼” x 7 ½” x ¾”. It has been dipped in a blend of oils and then Beall buffed. C&C welcomed.
    IMG_6567-2.jpg
    Last edited by Steve Doerr; 02-05-2015 at 12:44 PM.

2. That is a beauty!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Gorgeous piece. Love the wood grain and color.

Red
    RED

Very nice piece! The rings bring the eye into that hot looking center.
    I fish, therefore I am. I woodturn when I can't fish.

Oh sure! Now I have to look up all the verses to Waltzing Matilda. I don't believe we ever got past the first two lines. Great looking wood. Well done turning.
    faust

I found this link. What a treat. Link was a Youtube of the song with explaination of the words.
    Link deleted after reading the author had been convicted as a child molester. Lots of other you tube versions of this delightful song.

Last edited by Faust M. Ruggiero; 02-05-2015 at 7:35 PM.

Outstanding work Steve. I've not worked that species before so when did you realize you had such a gem of a piece? Before you put it on the lathe, half-way or not until you finished turning?

Really pretty wood and workmanship. Did you bend any tools?

Thanks everyone for your complements.

Faust--I did look up the youtube that you found about Waltzing Matilda and learned a whole lot. I realized that I speak American and the song is written in Aussie I had always thought that the guy was cooking a billy goat instead of just boiling water for tea.

David--I saw pictures of what the wood looked like before I bought it. Had some good prices on the four pieces that I picked up but had no idea what I would do with it. I knew it would be too thin to turn anything with much depth so I started looking at some different wall type turnings and finally got some ideas to move forward with. Still have a little "design" concept to work up on the third and fourth pieces yet.

Robert--all tools and fingers are still in great working order. Just like before I did the turning

One of the turners in our club was working on a Coolibah Burl at home and got a little careless.
    The jagged edges of the burl ripped into his wrist and left more than an orbital impression for
    the next couple of weeks. He is now back turning and a little wiser when turning burls.

Lovely result - well balanced and nicely finished.

Alan
    My wife and I had words, but I didn't get to use mine.

Although the first was a great turning, the balance on this one is much more pleasing to me. Very well done, Steve and looking forward for III & IV.