Thread: Hanging Closet Door Hardware Help

Hanging Closet Door Hardware Help

Due to a mess up on my part, what used to be two large closet doors (43" x 92") will now need to become 4 smaller closet doors (23" x 92"). These are set up in a bypass mode. Oh, they are exactly an inch thick and have some heft to 'em. I'm not quite sure what they are made of but I'll have a better idea when I slice 'em in half. They aren't anything fancy...just flat, plain and painted but they are nearly a 4x8 sheet of plywood sized.

I'm fairly certain this hardware is original to the house of the early 70s but has anyone seen hanging door rollers like this? I REALLY don't want to have to buy all new hardware (wwhardware has some nice stuff) as it'll entail new track and new holes in the door, $$$$s, etc. If I could just find 4 of these babies, I'd be so very happy. I'd even pay relatively exorbitantly for them!

hang-door1.jpghang-door2.jpg
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Chris...Check this out. I need to run or I would look for more for you. The wife is calling.

http://www.wwhardware.com/hettich-to...-hangers-ht505
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

try Acme door hardware

"When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

How do those things mount to the door? Does the long bolt fit into a hole bored in the top edge of the door?

You might be able to use ones like these --- http://www.johnsonhardware.com/2204f.htm (Johnson isn't the only source for this style.) They mount to the back face of the door. The wheels are offset from the back face so that the wheels are in the middle the door. I see offsets for 3/4", 1 1/8", and 1 3/8" doors among the Johnson offerings, but not 1". Maybe one of the existing parts is good enough for your situation. Or maybe you use the one intended for 3/4" door, and rout a pocket to inset it 1/8" into the door. That would also submerge the screw heads and such, in case you have a really tight clearance between the two sliding doors.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Kieve View Post
    Joe!!!!!!!!!!!! You are my new best friend!!!! That looks EXACTLY like what I have. I'll have to take a pair of calipers to what I have on hand to double-check but everything looks right about them. SWEET!!!!!!!!!!

I love The Creek!!!

I even went to that site before I posted but couldn't find anything. Strange.

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    How do those things mount to the door? Does the long bolt fit into a hole bored in the top edge of the door?
    Yep. There is a threaded metal (I think it is metal) insert pressed into a hole on the top of the door. That page Joe found shows a plastic insert, however. I'll have to take a closer look at what I have at home.

So glad I was able to help and hope it works for you.
    "When the horse is dead, GET OFF."

I wanted to add a final thought here in my search for this hardware. There is a service out there called "Nextdoor" that is a web-service designed to bring communities/neighborhoods together. Check it out for your local area.

Anyway, on a whim, I decided to post about this hanger. I figured that all the houses in my neighborhood were built the same and used more or less the same parts. Maybe someone stashed away a few of these hangers in a box in the garage? Low and behold, a guy posted that he had just changed out his closet doors (exactly the same as mine since he had the exact same model home) about 9 months ago and he kept the closet hangers...all 4. A 5 minute walk to his house and I had my hardware for free! I also met a nice guy with a lot of woodworking and machining equipment so now I have a new friend...with cool tools!
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-06-2015 at 5:48 PM.