Thread: emmert vise, bigger the better? seeking for comments

Post emmert vise, bigger the better? seeking for comments

Hi

I am looking for an emmert vise and I am wondering what real advantage does the larger emmert has over the smaller model like the no.2

Does the size of the jaws really matters?

I noticed that the no.2 has only one dog, so that has got to be a little disadvantage

Once install, does the weight of the bigger model a problem?

thanks

Martin

I have a large one mounted on my bench. I often use the four integral dogs, I have on other dog holes lined up with the vise. I also have a #2 clone but it is not mounted to anything yet so I can't make a direct comparison. I know I've never said "gee, I wish this vise was smaller". They are great vises no matter what size.
    jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

I have the large Emmert on my bench and have never thought that it was too large. I installed mine with the inner jaw flush with the edge of the bench. It was a good bit of work carving out the underside of the benchtop for the hub but it only has to be done once. The hinge is also installed flush with the top of the bench. I find the Emmert exceptionally useful for holding odd shaped objects and with the jaws rotated 90 degrees the tip of the upper jaw adds about 6-7 inches of working height which is very kind on your back. I bought some flexible plastic magnet and glued leather to it. This installs easily on the metal face of the jaws and protects your workpiece. Just pull and it is easily removed. Emmerts Rock!!
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I am on the other side of the coin and have the smaller Emmert vise. I have never wanted a larger vise, but that's just a personal opinion and likely related to the projects on the bench.

The prices vary so much, I have the smaller one because it was a good deal. Installed it same way that Dave described.

I think mine weighed in around 85 lbs. It wants to be close to a leg. it does torque on the bench top.VISE-1.jpg This is what they looked like when we got them. MY-VISE.jpg
    And done and mounted. VISE 2.jpg Some of the movement possible. Love mine. Good luck

I have a K-1 mounted on my bench.
    I was forced to load a counterweight underneath.

I would say that the large vise is really useful
    if you like to raise clamped items higher
    while sawing. For planing functions, I prefer
    to be down on the bench.

I find the Emmert exceptionally useful for holding odd shaped objects
    The large one is big enough you could park your compact car in it and rotate it all around to do a grease job.

I love these sorts of cool iron tools . . . that said . . . I looked at them seriously but didn't plan on doing pattern maker type work and for most cabinet making type work the rails in the way vises are just not the way to go.
    So think hard and long about WHAT you want to hold in the vise.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Winton, just try one. The jaw adjustment is so accurate that it is unusual to put a mark on the work, most don't even put
    any leather on them. I've used some all wood vises that could only hold in the middle without damaging the work. Pattern
    makeing is quite exacting and provides few opportunities to smush the wood into shape.