Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: And So It Begins - Build Thread - Strat

Quote Originally Posted by John Coloccia View Post
    Frank and Deva's friend?
    The one and only! Nice to see you on here!

Ditto. Everyone should check out Mike's work. Really beautiful.

Catch you around, Mike...it's not easy getting out and about anymore with the twins, but we're bringing them as soon as they start playing outside at Hartford Rd.

Thanks for the kind words, John! I'm looking forward to seeing what Dennis has in store for these builds.

Mike,
    I'm truly a "nobody" when it comes to instrument building. This is just something that's been on my "bucket list" for a long time and I enjoy playing music when an instrument is setup well and has a good sound to it. This may never go anywhere but I'm at least enjoying this and being in my shop for the 1st time in a few years due to family medical and family troubles. I think my bout with depression is about over and this is helping me come out of the hole I've been fighting within for the last several months. I truly love working with wood.

I'm always open for advice, tips, and pointers.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

As I told Julie, there are two kinds of people, Dennis. People who never finish their first guitar, and people who just keep building guitars. I know very few people that actually have built a guitar from scratch, and then just stopped building. It seems like getting over the hump the first time is the key. On the other hand, I know a LOT of people that have started a guitar, and have NEVER finished...it just sits, in the corner...forever. And they'll never build again.

Here's a profile on Mike, BTW.

http://www.premierguitar.com/article...herman_Guitars

He's a hell of a bassist too and is regularly gigging in the area. I'm really fortunate that I get to run into him from time to time and pick his brain.

Dennis, I'm glad to hear things are looking up for you. Life throws curve-balls at you sometimes. Getting back in the shop and creating things is always a good way to put the rough patches behind you! I enjoy watching build threads, and watching the artist evolve. As John mentioned, after you build one, it gets under the skin! I'm new to this site, but I have been poking around on the forums and there are some amazingly talented artisans on here.

John, you are much too kind! I hope to see more guitars coming out of your shop soon!

Mike,
    I'm not a true guitar player....I'm a bass player.
    I've been playing at the bass guitar since I was 13 years old. I've never had any lessons and only in the last few years have I learned how to read a true music chart with chords and timing marks for each measure of the music. I've played all these years "by ear" and I learned in Jan of this year what the Circle of 5ths is and what it refers to. I'm still learning music theory and I'm still developing my bass chops. I'm very impressed with your music portfolio. I am nowhere near as accomplished as you. I have played with some highly trained musicians to include various parts of the Arkansas Symphony, as well as many classically trained musicians that were always playing way over my head.
    I'm a big bass fan and I love jazz, country, gospel, soft rock, bluegrass, and blues with jazz, blues, and bluegrass being passions of mine. It's just that jazz hurts my head because it requires a whole new mindset over the rest of the music that I enjoy playing.

My goal is to build 2 guitars (one for my youngest son (18) and one for me) and then....I want to build my own custom 5-string bass for it to become my bass of choice in all the sessions I play. I'd love to have your advice on bass building as this will be the instrument that I will live behind (spend the most time on) for the rest of my days on this old blue rock. I go play some rhythm guitar on an acoustic guitar but I want to be better at the bass as well as better at the guitar as well.
    Dennis -
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Dennis, I'm a self-taught player as well. I started out on Coronet in grade school and switched to stringed instruments around the same age as you picked up the bass. It all changed when friend put a `69 fender jazz bass in my hands! All those horn lines and scales seemed to transfer over to bass for me. I certainly don't consider myself "accomplished'....I'm just a student of the instrument. We're never too old to learn, right? I grew up in Chicago, so I was surrounded by great music and a great scene, and I was fortunate to play with and learn from great players. The best way to learn is by playing with musicians that are more advanced than you.

Jazz can seem overwhelming at first. Try to think of it as improvising over looping patterns. A lot of Jazz tends to be in minor keys, so practice those minor scales!

I'm always willing to help if you need any advise on instrument building.

Another update.....more work done on the necks.....

And

Dennis -

I didn't realize you had laminated two woods on the neck. What is the backing wood? When you get the back shaped, please post pics.

Julie,
    One neck is backed with Black Walnut and the other neck is backed with Black Cherry.
    Dennis -

That sounds like it's going to be very cool!

I did a neck laminate with the woods stacked 90 degrees to yours but never thought about it the other way. I'm guessing the dimension of the backer wood is half the thickness of the headstock?

Yes, about 1/2 the thickness. Just glued it up and planed it down to what was needed and went from there. Really excited on how this is turning out.
    Dennis -

Chuck and I spent several hours in the shop yesterday working on the guitars. We are really enjoying the process and each others company in the shop. Here are some pics for proof.

Both Guitar Bodies...side by side:
    20150425_172020_web.jpg

Chuck's Guitar Neck:
    20150425_171833_web.jpg

My Guitar Neck:
    20150425_171807_web.jpg

The back of my guitar neck (Arkansas Black Cherry):
    20150425_171744_web.jpg

The backup of Chuck's guitar neck (Black Walnut):
    20150425_171707_web.jpg

Me carving on a neck with a spoke shave:
    20150425_141054_web.jpg

Chuck refining the shape on a guitar body:
    20150425_140935_web.jpg
    Last edited by Dennis Peacock; 04-26-2015 at 5:02 PM.
    Dennis -

Looking good, Dennis!