Thread: Furniture repair suggestions

Furniture repair suggestions

I agreed to repair an antique desk that belonged to a friend's deceased father, sentimental attachment. The desk is constructed from solid oak, nice heavy old desk but the bottom stretchers have torn loose from the legs. Instead of being constructed with M & T, the stretcher and apron are pocket screwed and glued to the legs. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for some type of "magical miracle" wood epoxy that I could use to rebuild the wood torn out around the pocket holes? I could rebuild the stretchers out of new stock but then I would be in the antique refinishing business trying to match up the old finish, don't want to go there. Look at the photos below and feel free to offer any suggestions. Perhaps some type of epoxy that is dries hard enough to be drilled and would hold a pocket screw?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by julian abram; 02-07-2015 at 9:26 PM.

If you have the broken off piece I would glue that back onto the stretcher and fill the holes in both the stretcher and leg with epoxy, maybe mixed with sawdust. Then I'd cut mortises in both the leg and stretcher and glue them together with a loose tenon. If you don't have the missing piece I guess you'll have to skive on a new piece of wood to bring it back to full section, and then dye/stain it to match after completing the repair. Oh, if you can't spread the legs far enough to get in the tenon then you could mill the mortise deeper in the leg so the tenon is flush. Then drill a small hole or two on a hidden face into the mortise pocket so that you can reach through with a pick to push the tenon into the leg mortise during glue-up.

John

Quick Wood will hold a screw. I'm not sure about using it in such a dynamic application as a stretcher though.
    I like John's solution. In the end you'll have a stronger desk.
    "The first thing you need to know, will likely be the last thing you learn." (Unknown)

I can't make sense of the pics. In the second pic, there are two screw holes in what I think is the leg. However, in both pics there seems to be only one screw holding the stretcher to the leg. That seems unlikely. Is there a lot more missing wood off the stretcher --- wood that contains a second pocket-hole screw?

Blog Entries
    I agree that the pics are not gining us enough of the structure to see what's going on. Is the piece structural other than being a stretcher? Is the carcass box-like as in a roll-top desk or is it more table-like? If you do not want to replace the piece (and I get that) you will have to replace the damaged area. If that area is still going to be the method of attachments I would not try to fill it, I would cut out a known shape and add material to that. Not use the new material for your attachment method. If the repair will be visible, you're already in the restoration business. If it just needs to be in place (as in non-structural) things get easier.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    I can't make sense of the pics. In the second pic, there are two screw holes in what I think is the leg. However, in both pics there seems to be only one screw holding the stretcher to the leg. That seems unlikely. Is there a lot more missing wood off the stretcher --- wood that contains a second pocket-hole screw?
    Yeah, I didn't give any explanation for the pictures. The first picture is where the stretcher attaches to the bottom of the leg with a single pocket hole which is torn out. The second picture is where two lag bolts are screwed from the apron brace into the top of the leg. So there are two separate type of repairs with missing wood, the top of the leg where the lag bolts attach and the bottom of the leg where the stretcher attaches with the pocket hole. I have none of the missing wood pieces.
    Thanks for input.

The lady calls this a desk but really it is a desk size table with a lap drawer. Supported by (4) 4"square oak legs, 4" apron at around the top with a stretcher connecting the 2 legs at the bottom on each side.

Added a photo to give overall view. This photo is of the undamaged side.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by julian abram; 02-08-2015 at 11:01 AM. Reason: add photo

Quote Originally Posted by julian abram View Post
    Yeah, I didn't give any explanation for the pictures. The first picture is where the stretcher attaches to the bottom of the leg with a single pocket hole which is torn out. The second picture is where two lag bolts are screwed from the apron brace into the top of the leg. So there are two separate type of repairs with missing wood, the top of the leg where the lag bolts attach and the bottom of the leg where the stretcher attaches with the pocket hole. I have none of the missing wood pieces.
    Thanks for input.

The lady calls this a desk but really it is a desk size table with a lap drawer. Supported by (4) 4"square oak legs, 4" apron at around the top with a stretcher connecting the 2 legs at the bottom on each side.

Added a photo to give overall view. This photo is of the undamaged side.
    Ah, that makes more sense. Here's what I would do...

For the lag screws, I see splits, and I see possibly worn-out holes where lag screws have been inserted multiple times. If the splits are anything more than superficial, I'd make a long rip-type cut, and glue in a whole new piece of oak. That new piece of wood would also provide new wood for the lag screws. However, I'd probably lose the lag screws, and upgrade to brass threaded inserts. The problem with lag screws in wood is that they generally cut themselves new threads each time they're screwed in. Do it a half dozen times, and there's no more wood. Use something like 3/8" bolts and brass threaded inserts, and you get longer life.

For the stretchers, I'd handplane the rough split surfaces, and glue on wood to replace the lost material. You're likely going to have to do a little finish-matching, but it will mostly be on the bottom, out of sight. For the joinery, I wouldn't leave it with just the one point of attachment -- that one screw. I'd fasten the ends of the stretchers to the legs with a screw and a peg or tenon. The two parts prevent the stretcher from rotating around the single point of attachment. Again, I'd probably go to a threaded brass insert in the leg, to allow disassembly many times.

Very good suggestions. I like the ideal of an extra attachment, peg or tenon, on the stretcher, one pocket hole screw is not enough. Thanks!

Just for fun, you might check out how Mathais Wandel repaired an old chair by scarfing in extra wood: http://woodgears.ca/kitchen_chairs/scarf_splice.html

Warren thanks for sharing this link. Very interesting repair method, this guy certainly thinks outside the box. Must admit, never heard of a pantorouter, very unique tool.