Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does a plow plane produce a clean cut without a nicker?

Blog Entries

How does a plow plane produce a clean cut without a nicker?

I've been looking at plow planes and am wondering how they get a clean cut without any nicker blades? Won't these cause tearing along the edge of the cut? Especially the plow plane models that offer wider blades (3/4") ? Is starting each edge with a knife recommended?

Isnt it because a Plow cuts WITH the grain. So you dont need the nicker.
    A Dado cuts across it and needs a nicker for sure. (Been fightin that one all week!.)
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Isnt it because a Plow cuts WITH the grain. So you dont need the nicker.
    A Dado cuts across it and needs a nicker for sure. (Been fightin that one all week!.)
    What Frederick stated. A Plow cuts WITH the grain. No nicker need apply for the job.
    Maurice

I've begun to experiment with the method shown by Derek Cohen using a large saw to score
    the sides of a cross grain groove (dado or rabbet). It works. It's not difficult, and it uses tools we already have.

If you cut more with the grain, a plow plane is excellent. If you're only cutting the occasional dado,
    it can be managed with a router plane and a sharp saw.

Blog Entries
    If the wood is nice and straight grained, a plow plan will cut a smooth groove.

When you get switching grain you will get fuzzy sides or other chip out along the edges. Most of the time this will not be noticed. Eventually you will learn to use the best grain orientation for your plow work and keep tear out to a minimum. A side rabbet plane helps to clear up the sides with one or two passes.

As to the physics of the process, the edge of the blade has a very high angle grind. This acts a bit like a scraper on the side of the cut and helps to burnish the surface.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    I've begun to experiment with the method shown by Derek Cohen using a large saw to score
    the sides of a cross grain groove (dado or rabbet). It works. It's not difficult, and it uses tools we already have.

If you cut more with the grain, a plow plane is excellent. If you're only cutting the occasional dado,
    it can be managed with a router plane and a sharp saw.
    That's been my way of doing it maybe not with a large saw though. Also like using a shop made depth stop clamped to the saw.

IMAG2266.jpg
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    When you get switching grain you will get fuzzy sides or other chip out along the edges. Most of the time this will not be noticed. A side rabbet plane helps to clear up the sides with one or two passes.

As to the physics of the process, the edge of the blade has a very high angle grind. This acts a bit like a scraper on the side of the cut and helps to burnish the surface.
    Thanks Jim. I always wondered why someone would need a side rabbett plane. Now that youve explined it, I want one too. Also didnt know the actual physics of the plow plane cutter design. One thing I find fascinating about old planes is that through daily use and trial and error (over centuries), pretty sophisticated designs evolved. Intellectually, it makes perfectly good sense. But its still pretty darn amazing to me on an emotional level.

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

It is good practice to lay out your grooves with a marking gauge before using your plow. The purpose is to ensure you plow a straight groove, as fences on plows do slip and the lines let you see if / when that happens. Severing the grain in less-friendly wood is a happy by-product of this effort. Plowing with the grain usually works just fine without tearing things up anyway.

As for cleaning up the sides of the groove, I prefer a t-rabbet plane if the groove is wide enough.
    Your endgrain is like your bellybutton. Yes, I know you have it. No, I don't want to see it.

Blog Entries
    Frederick,

I have a side rabbet from Terry Gordon and it's very well done. I use it in conjunction with a dovetail fence most of the time, but also without to clean up rabbets.

Terry's stuff is really well worked out, I have designs on purchasing a dado plane or two from him fairly soon.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Blog Entries
    As for cleaning up the sides of the groove, I prefer a t-rabbet plane if the groove is wide enough.
    I am not sure what a t-rabbet plane is. Could you post an image or a link?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Holcombe View Post
    Frederick,

I have a side rabbet from Terry Gordon and it's very well done. I use it in conjunction with a dovetail fence most of the time, but also without to clean up rabbets.

Terry's stuff is really well worked out, I have designs on purchasing a dado plane or two from him fairly soon.
    Yeah, his tools are SOOOO nice. I hadnt noticed the side rebate planes last time I was "there". Thanks Brian!
    Fred

That's clever.

You can set the stop lower to act as a prop
    and raise it as you go along.

I chisel the sides a bit on dadoes
    and ran a small sash saw along the ridge.

Frederick,

why someone would need a side rabbett plane
    Good for correcting the fit of a box lid too (actually the rabbet that goes into the lid) that has swollen too tight to close easily.
    And they are cool as heck to look at.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 02-08-2015 at 6:35 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

It is good practice to lay out your grooves with a marking gauge before using your plow.
    Or even get crazier than that and use a cutting gauge.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 02-08-2015 at 7:15 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

Quote Originally Posted by Winton Applegate View Post
    Frederick,

Good for correcting the fit of a box lid too (actually the rabbet that goes into the lid) that has swollen too tight to close easily.
    And they are cool as heck to look at.
    Oh man. Those ARE cool to look at Win. like most LN planes, theyre downright beautiful to my eye.