Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lasered drinking glass

Wow Bill Cunningham That looks awesome you did the invert from the photo I cant wait until i am that good.

Now i see what you all mean by engraving the white parts of the picture only holly cow ( invert the picture ) My stuff looked like you know what i am just in shock that one day i can be able to do some thing like this

I bet that cost a nice pretty penny

Cant wait until i can do some thing like that

I wish i could learn this like i learned how to train dogs simple easy as we were taught ( kiss ) k.i.s.s. keep. it .simple. stupid.
    Last edited by Junior hall; 02-12-2015 at 8:26 AM.

Junior you need to realize these guys just did not order a machine and start doing quality work. Most of us had some graphics experience and the basics under our belt before we started. The rest was learned via reading, searching and help from this Forum and others. Most of the folks on here are really good, above average... but it took years to gain those skills. You can't put that experience on a DVD and learn it all in a week or so.

I've had my laser almost a year and getting up to average skill level.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Bill George View Post
    Junior you need to realize these guys just did not order a machine and start doing quality work. Most of us had some graphics experience and the basics under our belt before we started. The rest was learned via reading, searching and help from this Forum and others. Most of the folks on here are really good, above average... but it took years to gain those skills. You can't put that experience on a DVD and learn it all in a week or so.

I've had my laser almost a year and getting up to average skill level.
    Great post Bill!

I've run machines for 2-3 years before realizing it had a feature or two that was really important
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Shepherd View Post
    I've run machines for 2-3 years before realizing it had a feature or two that was really important
    Like the 'On' button... it works so much faster with it in the right position.
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

What is this "on" button you speak of and what does it do?
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic

Quote Originally Posted by Jiten Patel View Post
    What is this "on" button you speak of and what does it do?
    It prints money
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

ahahaha or so the reps say!
    Jit Patel
    London UK

30w Trotec Speedmarker CL (Galvo) with 400mm & 250mm lens
    80w Trotec Speedy 400 with Rotary, Vacuum Table, Cutting Lamellas, 2" & 1.5" lens, Pass through
    Oki Printing Press
    Abobe Creative Suite - Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign.
    Vector Magic

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiten Patel View Post
    ahahaha or so the reps say!
    Why do you think all of these machines come with a print driver... !
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

at one time i thought they machine was good for target practice or getting frustrations out with a hammer. Then i got a hold of tech support and they remote access and i learned some things about the machine and how to do some things but other than that i was lost Still trying to learn as reading things i do not comprehend good as watching seeing it done i leaRN better.

Thanks ALL for helping me with millions of questions as they may seem dumb stupid or competitive but i want to learn this as i think these pictures are so beautiful I hope one day i can help the next person that you all have helped me Once again thank you all

Bill,

Excellent work on the glass mug. I don't think I've ever seen glass work as good as yours, thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Cunningham View Post
    Once you tweak the photo etching a good one becomes simple. This one was a cartoonized(?) Photo of a young ladies boyfriend. She wanted it on a mug. Mugs are great for photos..
    I'd be interested in seeing the file you used for engraving on this mug....
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

The original photo was supplied by the customer. I just tweak it a bit in photo paint until I think it looks good, then run it through the generic glass setting in photograv.(which also inverts the image) I have a coating that I put on glass that allows 'good' photos virtually all the time. I suggested this process here about a year ago. If you search my posts you will find it. It accounts for about 50% and picture tweaking accounts for the other 50% There is a glass etched photo of a housefly (enlarged) along with the actual engraving file. Look it up an give it a try and see how it works for you.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Thanks Keith. Glass is my favorite medium to work with.
    Epilog 24TT(somewhere between 35-45 watts), CorelX4, Photograv(the old one, it works!), HotStamping, Pantograph, Vulcanizer, PolymerPlatemaker, Sandblasting Cabinet, and a 30 year collection of Assorted 'Junque'

Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

I Have to think outside the box.. I don't fit in it anymore

Experience is a wonderful thing.
    It enables you to recognize a mistake when you make it again.

Every silver lining has a cloud around it

Hey Bill, I just wanted to comment on the awesome work that you post, I hope that one day I'll be that good. two thumbs up!!

Here is a post from Bill and his fly glass (hint: includes his secret coating)

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...t=#post2243029
    Last edited by Ron Gosnell; 04-24-2015 at 2:58 PM.
    Thunder Laser MARS 90 (130 watt)
    RD Works V8
    1 Phillips Screwdriver
    1 Straight Edge
    1 Hammer
    1 Dull Chisel
    1 Pencil Sharpener (manually operated)