Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: How Long have You been on the Creek?? Woodworking??

Looks like I am coming up on 8 years?! I have not been a frequent visitor or contributor much over the years, but retired last year, and engaged a bit more in this and a couple other forums. I was very busy turning pens when I bought a lathe about 5 years ago, and have branched out to other wood turning projects over the past couple years. Most of my "wwodworking" this next year or so will be centered on remodeling our house.

I started woodworking when I took woodworking classes in junior high, back in the 60s. For the younger members here, that was back in the day when many public schools had really nicely equipped shops, and teachers incredibly dedicated to helping pass along their talents to the students. (At least that is the way it was for me.) If this is still going on anywhere, I'd be amazed, but also quite encouraged.

We recently passed the 2.25 million posts milestone and went over 90,000 Registered Members. We will soon have our 200,000th thread.

Threads196,883

Posts2,260,246

Members90,563

I was a long standing member of the old Badger Pond WW'ing forum that was owned and ran by Wayne Miller. At one time, before Badger Pond became SMC, I was looking into what all it took to take over Badger Pond to help keep a good WW forum running. I was informed a short time later that Keith Outten worked for/owned a company that was going to take the forum over and it would be called Sawmill Creek. I've been here ever since.

I've been woodworking for just over 43 years now. Still have all my digits and haven't been injured by a powered woodworking tool yet.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

Just over 6 yrs for me. Been woodworking for about 8 or 9 years.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

06-11-2009. So 5+ years. Came here as a Normite, am now mostly a Neander. Been a "woodworker" (a generous term when applied to me!) around 8 or 9 years. Got started building benchwork for my model train layout.
    Paul

Been playing with wood since 1968, made an acrylic shaped fish with koa wood tail in shop class when we lived in Hawaii. Been making all sorts of odd ball stuff ever since.
    Member here since 2005.
    Still don't know all the stuff you guys know but am learning more daily!

Bruce
    Epilog TT 35W, 2 LMI SE225CV's
    CorelDraw 4 through 11
    CarveWright
    paper and pencils

Since 2009. Can't remember how I found the creek but glad I did! Have been a 'Friend of the Creek' for a number of years and while I don't post or show stuff much, I sure have learned a lot here. Amazing amount of knowledge in here.

Hobby woodworking, semi-retired, and a CNC on the horizon. Hope to soon kick the work habit and have some fun...

Thanks Keith Outten for making all of this available and happening!

klw
    Funny, I don't remember being absent minded...

near San Diego: unincorporated section of county
    I'm closing in on 7 years soon at SMC. Think I was probably 6 or 7 when I made a boat out of a scrap of 2x4 my dad had laying around and that's quite of few years ago. Got serious in high school when I needed a bookcase and file cabinet I could not afford, but wood was reasonably priced. Took a shot at being a pro for 2 years, but it wasn't in the cards. All I earned those 2 years was a heck of a lot of respect for those guys (and gals) who can make it on their own. Glad to be a hobbyist again.
    Last edited by James Baker SD; 02-08-2015 at 6:24 PM. Reason: cannot subtract 15-8 correctly :-)

I've been here a little over 2 years I joined the creek because I bought a laser engraver , but have been doing woodworking on and off for the past 40 years. never got really good at it, but I did make some nice pine slab coffee tables. When I built my first house I did all the cabinets and book cases but I'd never show that here LOL But now I do the laser cutting and engraving, hey can't I consider that wood working. I cut the wood on the laser but then I have to sand it down, stain it and put a finish on it so can't I count that too
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I started woodworking in about 1997. As you can see, I'm a 'Creeker from very early on.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I never joined. Somebody hacked my credit card and signed up in my name. Plus - all the stuff I post?? I just make it up, like Myk does.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    I never joined. Somebody hacked my credit card and signed up in my name. Plus - all the stuff I post?? I just make it up, like Myk does.
    So how do we know it's you posting this in this thread and not the hacker or Myk doing it?

Looks like I joined in 2007. Obviously found the site doing searches on the Internet. I remember when I used to visit Badger Pond, but not sure why it took me a whole to join here. Been woodworking in one form or another since the 70's.

Woodworking since 2003, when it was explained to me
    that glue was stronger than nails or screws.

Waded into the Creek 4 years ago.
    I don't much bother with other sites.

People are genuine and helpful, here.

I joined in december of 2006.

I have been a wood wrecker for 40 years.............Regards, Rod.