Thread: Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

8 Feb 2015

Greetings,
    It's been a busy week at the day job and I've also been participating in a 5 day post a turning a day activity on Facebook with some of my long time turning friends. It was fun and nice to see turnings from many others that had been sharing in the activity. I was brought another furniture piece to refinish for one of my long time customers. My youngest son and I will start that this week.
    A buddy at work has been talking to me about us building a guitar for the past several years. We finally decided to pull the trigger on the "let's do this" attitude and we have the wood and the hardware ordered and it arrived this past week. We are getting ready to start the process of building 2 guitars, one for him and one for me, replica's of the 1962 Fender Stratocaster. I hope this ends up being really fun and rewarding.
    I'm also looking at starting back on the LOML Jr's blanket chest this week. I've got a lot to get done and seems like I have precious little time any more to do it in.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

I shoveled snow, finished a case for the leveling equipment for the sawmill, shoveled snow, built a set of mini-stairs for the cat (she's 12 years old and it hurts me when she jumps from her perch to the floor), and shoveled snow. Tomorrow I will shovel snow, go to work most, and most likely shovel more snow when I get home.

The youngest son and wife are on a mini-vacation in the Seattle area, so they dropped the twin 5 year old granddaughters and 2 1/2 year old grandson off with us for a week. My wife and I have rediscovered why we have children while we are young!

I did make it to the shop this evening to buff out a small turning. The buff grabbed it out of my hand and slammed it to the floor. Luckily I didn't have much time or materials into it!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

I shoveled snow when I got back from Kentucky Friday. My teenaged boys are allergic to what looks like work. Then I got the garage/shop cleaned out. My oldest boy wrecked my wife's new car in the snow Wednesday while I was gone, so I had to get that mess out of my way and make it easy for the adjuster to see.

Sunday was a "shop day" for me. I got the casing and baseboard trim painted and installed in the master bath remodel. Then I landed the vanity, installed the faucet on the granite countertop and plopped that on the vanity. As with all my projects, came up one piece short to finish. The vanity is taller so I need an additional tail piece for the sink drain. I usually have one in my plumbing stash, but not this time. I thought I was good without it, even though the vanity is taller, the sink is deeper. Thought it was a wash. Nope, need about 3/8"-1/2" more. No amount of fudge was working without leaking. So a stop at the borg on the way home from work and I'll be in business.

Then its on to the main bath upstairs. Same thing, total gut and restore. All the materials are here. Just time that eludes me....

I can relate to Mike's quest for time. I coach college debate as well as doing woodworking, was away at a tournament all weekend in Illinois.

Read Jim Tolpins toolbox book between rounds.

Chris

One of our boys was home with friends on a snowboarding mission,so we had fun feeding/hangin with them.Got some "relax" time (non work related) in our shop doing some shotgun work.Had an absolutely doh moment,wishing for a particular "fixture" (Forster sight fixture),then after researching it for an hour online,remembered we already had one.

Blog Entries
    I was productive this weekend. Finished re-foaming and then installed the woofers in our speakers. Sprayed 3 coats of lacquer on the guitar build. I couldn't spray on Saturday due to the rain. Spent most of yesterday reorganizing and cleaning the garage / shop. Made a couple of small modifications to the saw till. While I still have some work to finish, I feel pretty successful.

And of course there is the daily / weekly work of dog walking, laundry, dishes, etc... And got my hair cut.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

I shoveled snow and ran the snow blower on Saturday for my house and two neighbors. I cleaned up my shop after just completing a vanity project, to get ready for the next project. Sunday I pulled out what rift sawn white oak I still have for that project, only to realize I didn't have enough. So I sorted through the rest of my white oak lumber to see if any of it was rift sawn. Thankfully, I think I've found enough to complete the project which is good because rift sawn is harder to get than quarter sawn around me. Today I'm shoveling and blowing snow again, but I did spend a couple of hours roughing out some of the white oak and cutting veneer. BTW, a Lennox Diemaster 2 1/2" x 4 tpi blade on my 14" Delta with riser is awesome for cutting veneer; very straight and pretty darned smooth.

John

Designed and built a box to hold my ice-boat runners.

I was looking for something that would protect and keep them from clanking around, and yet was efficient space wise. I was able to buy some 2mm felt tape from ebay that will protect the bottom of the runners and give it that finished look. The box is built from some leftover baltic ply. The blades slide in, and they're restrained in movement lengthwise. Basically lock into place. Still debating on whether to spray with clear poly or paint. The "receiving section" shown in the photo is now surrounded with a wooden box with corner finger joints, plywood bottom and lift off top. Webbing straps are "let in" to the base for carrying (it's very heavy) and rubber "shoes" screwed into the bottom to keep off the floor and protect the blades in case there is an accidental water spill. I bought some stainless latches from Amazon to secure the lid.

Hope to get a few more sails in this winter if this snow ever stops coming down. And I know my newly sharpened and honed runners are "ready to go."
    Attached Images Attached Images

I finally finished up my lathe table that I have been working on. This was some rough sawn soft wood. It was probably not worth all the effort but it was fun to take something so pitifully ugly and wobbly and clean it up a bit.

My wife has me working on a small half bath remodel. I removed the old wall mirror, vanity & sink, the toilet and baseboards. Hung 6 rolls of wallpaper (hate wallpaper) then installed a new vanity I built a couple weeks ago. Re installed the toilet and baseboards, waiting on the granite countertop & sink. Certainly made for a busy weekend.
    I listed that old mirror, vanity & sink on Craiglists list for $75 at noon Saturday, it was gone off our porch by 4pm. Saved me from having to haul it off.
    Last edited by julian abram; 02-09-2015 at 5:44 PM.

Recycling is the charm! Well done!

Got nothing done this weekend, spent Saturday at my mother's place, my sister and her husband had been seriously sick for weeks and missed Christmas, but we all got together for my youngest daughter's birthday (well, that's today, but it was close enough). Then I caught up on housework on Sunday. Granted, I'm giving my daughter a present I made for her in the shop today so I guess that counts.

I have been working, off and on, for a week or two on a birthday present for my wife. She was not nearly as impressed with it as others, but then again it was a gift generated by my son. He is always explaining how bad it is to have his mother's computer sitting on the carpet. I made him one of these out of Baltic Birch a couple of years ago, and now went to a bit more work to build one for my wife.

0209152219.jpg0209152221.jpg0209152221a.jpg
    Last edited by Mark Blatter; 02-10-2015 at 12:36 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Hartman View Post
    I finally finished up my lathe table that I have been working on. This was some rough sawn soft wood. It was probably not worth all the effort but it was fun to take something so pitifully ugly and wobbly and clean it up a bit.

Infintiely better IMHO...shop furniture can be enjoyable to build.