Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Creative things to build with the Neander method....

Creative things to build with the Neander method....

So what types of things does the Neander method method lend itself to building, and what should be the path to good design?

Especially in relation to hand tool wood working...

I think that mid century modern furniture (the stuff you see in the magazine Atomic Ranch for example) of a uniquely American and not Scandinavian design could really be an area of interest. Some of the stuff from the 50's-60's with this design ethos was a little bit heavy on the plywood end, but most of it I think would be well adapted to hand tool usage.

Tom Fidgen with the Unplugged Workshop has won my respect with what I think excellent designs from a pure neanderthal workshop.

I think it would be interesting to work with Greene and Green designs and build them in a hand tool friendly wood like Cherry, and work with hand tools to make hand made pulls and also make the designs more flowing and contemporary.

But enough of my thoughts, I came here for yours.

Chris

Violins are necessarily made by hand,unless you have advanced carving machinery. But then,the judgement of the maker is lessened. And judgement is what it is all about. Guitars too,make good hand projects,as do many stringed instruments. And,what I have just mentioned is a big understatement,about the judgement part. Great instruments are always hand made.
    Last edited by george wilson; 02-09-2015 at 12:10 PM.

This answer is perhaps a bit simplistic, but any type of furniture you like. Unless you have to make multiples such as in chairmaking, doing "one off" pieces of furniture can be readily done by hand. Even woods like hard maple and oak work well with hand tools as long as they are sharp. The biggest time differential between all hand work, blended work, and machine work is in the preparation of the stock. Hand cut joinery can often take less time that that required for the setups and test pieces required when using machinery.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    Violins are necessarily made by hand,unless you have advanced carving machinery. But then,the judgement of the maker is lessened. And judgement is what it is all about. Guitars too,make good hand projects,as do many stringed instruments. And,what I have just mentioned is a big understatement,about the judgement part. Great instruments are always hand made.
    Which is why my son and I are looking at building some guitars as a future woodworking project.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    This answer is perhaps a bit simplistic, but any type of furniture you like. Unless you have to make multiples such as in chairmaking, doing "one off" pieces of furniture can be readily done by hand. Even woods like hard maple and oak work well with hand tools as long as they are sharp. The biggest time differential between all hand work, blended work, and machine work is in the preparation of the stock. Hand cut joinery can often take less time that that required for the setups and test pieces required when using machinery.
    Agreed.. my wife wants me to build a few Stickley style spindle chairs with about 90 mortice and tenon joints in them. Methinks I may be using the hollow chisel mortice machine for that project...

At the same time, hand work is very important to me as I really want to build some Windsor chairs from scratch.

I have no eye for design, I merely know what pleases it. Your question got me going on the subject. I think I might be pleased with a merger of the the "furniture of necessity" with the Sam Maloof ethic. Southwestern images flit through my mind.

For me, size can be a determinant. Big things are harder to mill and dimension with hand tools than machines for me.

Blog Entries
    A recent project was a Tea Cabinet for my wife. Another is in the works at this moment.

It came about due to my making a Fibonacci Divider:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...at-s-in-a-Name

I decided to make the Tea Cabinet using the new gauge to find the proportions.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...Latest-Project

The shelves were resawn on a bandsaw. so it isn't completely Neander/hand tool. I do not recall if the 1X12 was hand ripped to its final size or not. Sometimes it is hand ripped, sometimes the bandsaw is set up and the floor is already cleared so the bandsaw gets the job.

The molding and ploughing was done with a Stanley #45 and other planes. The dados were cut by hand with chisels.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 02-09-2015 at 2:57 PM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Japanese interior architecture lends itself well to hand-methods. They usually involve finishing techniques which are also often by hand. The grooved sections which rely upon smoothness and straightness to properly function are best created by hand.

I think often, just the opposite, where much of the machines available to a hobbyist are often geared toward mid size work, and once you move into either fine detail or large work it's better accomplished by hand in my opinion.

I will be doing some door building in the next coming months, I plan to start with two sets of sliding doors for one area of my house. I'm happy to use a hand method to create these doors as I believe that will lend itself to remaining stable in the future. Now that I am also able to resaw with ease I will be resawing the major planks of these doors to bookmatch them. I've noticed a lot less stress in the boards of my projects dimensioned by hand as opposed to those from years prior which were machined to size.

It's not always practical to dimension a project 100% by hand, but in the event that it is, the result is often a better one in my experience.
    Last edited by Brian Holcombe; 02-09-2015 at 3:08 PM.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

Surprisingly, I feel that a lot of modern design elements lend themselves to hand tools. Simple, clean-lines, few moldings, etc. However, pretty much anything can be done with a hand tool only approach so long as your creative and patient.
    Blood, sweat, and sawdust

Maybe its just me or my comfort level but I don't feel that curvy stuff lends well to a neanderthal. And I'm talking about cabinets/furniture not instruments.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Basically anything made prior to electric powered machinery. That includes curvy Louis IVth veneered stuff down to turned items made on a spring pole lathe. How deep is your imagination, will, and determination?

Roy Underhill's Woodwrights Studio is totally Neanderthal, save for the fluorescent lights... Check out his listing of classes for an idea of where you can go with it.
    Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by Judson Green View Post
    Maybe its just me or my comfort level but I don't feel that curvy stuff lends well to a neanderthal. And I'm talking about cabinets/furniture not instruments.
    Huh? My 113, drawkives, spokeshaves, carving tools, bow saws, coping saws, etc. disagree strongly. Not to mention, that I don't think any of my work in the last five years has lacked a curve or ten. Here's a small trestle I'm presently inthe middle of - a few curves:

~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Hughto View Post
    Huh? My 113, drawkives, spokeshaves, carving tools, bow saws, coping saws, etc. disagree strongly. Not to mention, that I don't think any of my work in the last five years has lacked a curve or ten. Here's a small trestle I'm presently inthe middle of - a few curves:

Are those burn marks? Surly didn't come from your spokeshave did they?

But like I said maybe its just me, the level I'm at with neanderthal woodworking. When using machines and sanders curvy stuff seemed easier.

AND Sean that looks incredible!
    Last edited by Judson Green; 02-09-2015 at 4:49 PM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

Sorry, Judson. I'm not a purist. While my bow saw was available for the task, I used a bandsaw for the rough cuts. For me, hand tools are the key to the sculptural and carved forms that interest me and that I enjoy shaping.

That table still has a ways to go. I handcut all six joints you see there. And of four all the carving and shaping is by hand. Glad you like it so far.
    ~ Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the men of old; seek what they sought.