Thread: I can't own a Ferrari, but I could build one...

Blog Entries

I can't own a Ferrari, but I could build one...

I love this boat, and it looks like a pretty straightforward hull build. You could strip build the cowling and tail fin. The million-dollar engine might be hard to come by, but a Dodge V10 would make a nice substitute. The original only had around 600 horses, which today you can squeeze out of a much smaller engine. My grandfather built and raced wooden boats and I am itching to follow in his footsteps. I have yet to build a racing boat.

Just a pipe dream. The boat is the easy part. Affording the engine and running gear puts it out of reach.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=03Onlgc_hj4

image.jpg

There's nothing like the way a hydroplane rides on the water. No other watercraft is as much fun to own and even the small hobby hydroplanes with 12 hp outboards will provide memories that last a lifetime. I road the Pegasus hydrofoil when I was in the Navy, it was pretty cool but not as enjoyable as a hydroplane.

As a 10 year back in the mid 60's, I used to go to the nearby river on Saturdays and watch the small Hydros race, it seemed like most of the time the boat was actually barely touching the water. Very exciting to watch, coming out of the corners with a great rooster tail.
    Mac

Blog Entries
    image.jpgIf one had unlimited funds, here is a great power plant. 800 pounds, 725 ponies. A marine version of the Viper V10. The original boat was 800kg total, so this engine wet allows you another 900+ pounds hull and running gear. Very doable.

Someone wake me up! My grandfather took a V12 Hispano Suiza aircraft engine and put it in a wooden boat back in the '30's. This would be the perfect grandson's tribute. Again- just a pipe dream for now, although a V8 may not be out of reach. I could make it the next boatbuilding class.

Here are grandad's trophies. The model is of a boat he repaired for a man that broke down on his way down the MS River and the guy gave him the model as a thank you. image.jpg Grandad won every race, so he decided to race for show and let the guy that came in second have the trophies after a number of wins.

Check out Ryan Falconer's V12 engines, I believe they have been used in Marine installations. www.falconerengines.com
    Mac
    Last edited by Mac McQuinn; 02-10-2015 at 4:39 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mac McQuinn View Post
    As a 10 year back in the mid 60's, I used to go to the nearby river on Saturdays and watch the small Hydros race, it seemed like most of the time the boat was actually barely touching the water. Very exciting to watch, coming out of the corners with a great rooster tail.
    Mac
    After grad school, moved to downtown Detroit. Our apt complex backed up on the Detroit River. Get up at 5 am on race days to stake a claim with a blanket, right at river's edge - on the front straight, halfway between the Roostertail turn and the MacArthur Bridge turn. Multiple classes of races over the long weekend

That first year, all unlimited class boats were still running WW-II Merlin and Griffin engines, 50 yards off shore. The sound was bone-rattling and mesmerizing as they headed down the straight.

The next year, Miss Bud showed up with the first turbine engine. and cockpit forward. The rest fell in line in the next 2 years. The end of an era.

But that group of Spitfire engines blasting past - have never heard anything remotely like that ever again.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.