Thread: jointer fence

jointer fence

A while ago someone on here asked if its worth it to get a jointer fence. Well, since I have one now and used it, I say absolutely without a doubt dont think twice YES! If you're a just starting out newbie on the hand tool side, it is one of the best things you can get. If you go to ebay or an antique shop and get a NON STANLEY, I would expect to pay $30-50 but the Stanleys go for 90 some. Oh, and get a good blade, too. Lee Valley, Hock, Clifton, or the one I got Spehar Toolworks. I'm done now.

Aaron, if you use wooden jointers you don't really need a fence. Larry Williams of C&W fame suggests that there's something about the large square body that brings your body into conformation with making a flat joint.

Pam

I've never used a wooden jointer, besides a transitional(yeah, lets just leave it at that), but if Clark and Williams say it, it must be true I wouldn't mind one of their jointer planes, but money is a big issue right now.

I would put hand plane jointer fences right up there with jigs/crutches for hand sharpening.... .

I have several long wooden planes from Steve Knight.

The 24 inch long with 2 inch wide irons do NOT 'self-joint' but the 32 inch long with 3 inch wide irons pretty much give me a nice flat square edge without much hassle. My experience would echo C&W's though I'd probably say it isn't related to wood or metal...more to overall size. I cannot imagine how heavy a metal bodied plane would be that had overall dimensions of 32 inch x 3 1/2 inch sole . Heck, both of the one's Steve made me weigh in over 10#'s each.

I will say that I have not just gone to a rough edge or even a freshly hand sawn edge (Let's just say I don't have the best luck hand ripping 4 feet straight and square ) with the big planes. I get the edges close with the appropriate planes and straight edge and winding sticks and then take some final passes with the bign's to get what I consider 'dead-square' and 'dead-flat' edge.
    Tim

on the neverending quest for wood.....

In addition to the ones enumerated in the initial post, St James Bay Tool Co. has a 386 style jointer fence available from ~$35 rough kit to a finished ready to use one for $90.

http://www.stjamesbaytoolco.com/

LV also has one which attaches with rare earth magnets.

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...16&cat=1,41182
    Someone said the real test of a craftsman is his ability to recover from his mistakes. I'm practicing real hard for that test.