Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cabinets, and lots of them...

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Thanks.

Phil, I made a template from 3/8" mdf and made the holes 3/8". Then used one of these 5mm bits in my router (with an adaptor) plus a bushing guide
    http://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/categ...T204005?fr=fav
    to drill the holes (shelves and hing plates).
    I'm looking for an adaptor to run one of those 10MM shanks in my router, coming up blank. Any suggestions? I don't see any 5mm euro brad points with other than a 10MM shank. Is a 3/8" collet close enough to make it work?
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Peter, Amana has those adaptors (1/2" to 10mm and a few other different sizes). I bought mine from routerbitworld.com for a few dollars or so I think.

Edit: here it is: https://www.routerbitworld.com/Produ...AMANA%20RB-120
    Last edited by mreza Salav; 03-29-2015 at 10:36 PM.

Thanks for that link Mreza, don't know why I didn't think of Amana, I'm looking to start doing shelf pin holes in the home shop with a router, this looks like great set up, just ordered it!
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

While I was busy staining the baseboards the guys were busy installing hardwoods a few weeks ago. This photo was taken when they were doing the last row.

cab54.jpg

Then the baseboards went on and I installed a little bit more of cabinet parts (false fronts, baseboards for cabinets, etc).

cab55.jpg

Next I started builing drawer boxes:

cab56.jpgcab57.jpgcab58.jpg

I did a screw up and cut a bunch of drawer sides too short.
    Now I'm mostly done with building boxes (kitchen is done minus one, baths are all done, and there are only 4 left in the laundry).
    It was my first time using/installing tandem and I was pleasantly surprised that all the boxes went in and slide smoothly given the very small tolerances that are to the sides. Have to attach the drawer fronts and those slide-out doors.

cab59.jpgcab60.jpgcab61.jpg

Nice! I've been waiting for this chapter so I can ask questions about the drawers.

I'm assuming you bought the drawer stock material pre-grooved and cut to width since it looks like a stack is shrink wrapped. Can you share the source? My wife also wants all drawer bottoms so I have quite a few drawers to make.

what are the heights of the drawer boxes?

im also going to use the Tandem slides for the first time so it is comforting to hear they went better then you expected.

everything looks very nice!

ps. Looks like the hose hooked up to you DT jig could use a shave.

Thanks Mike.
    Yes, the drawer sides are pre-finished birch that I buy from this supplier (here in Canada): http://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/categ...r-side/1030545
    For the bottoms I found 1/4 prefinished birch ply but the quality wasn't that good. I use them only for bathroom drawers but for kitchen I am using BB ply and I finish myself.

The shallow drawers are 4 1/8" and the deep ones 10 1/4".

I hope you survive this build, I would have gone belly up long ago!
    Beautiful work as always!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks Bruce, I so badly want this to be finished sooner...

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post
    Thanks Mike.
    Yes, the drawer sides are pre-finished birch that I buy from this supplier (here in Canada): http://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/categ...r-side/1030545
    hmm... They have a distribution center in Michigan. But it says I need to have a business.

i hope you have a vacation planned for when your project is done. I nice long relaxing vacation.

Mike, they used to say that but you can open a cash account with them and pay for your orders right away (no need to be a business).
    As for vacation, you bet, we are taking off in two weeks for 3 weeks before we move.

Finally, the cabinets are all done, kitchen, 6 bathrooms, and the laundry, all are done, including trims, toe kicks, shelves,...DONE!!
    Here are some cell phone pics:

cab69.jpgcab70.jpgcab71.jpgcab72.jpg
    cab73.jpgcab74.jpgcab75.jpgcab76.jpg

one more pic:

cab77.jpg

The house is also almost complete, only a few minor things are left (like putting the towel bars and toilet paper holders),
    but the most important thing is a major cleaning. The painters are also coming to do some touch up work.
    We are going to take a vacation from this weekend for a few weeks, it's a much needed vacation. After we come back we move (hopefully).
    I will post final pics of the house with a real camera (all these pics are cell phone pics). My finisher also has asked me to send him the photos. The guys who brought the stairs wanted to come and take photos of the railing for their website!!

The finished kitchen looks awesome!

Hopefully you can relax and enjoy your much deserved vacation.

Thanks Mike.

Blog Entries
    You're probably tired of hearing this, but they look fantastic! Beautiful wood, great grain selection, fine craftsmanship. Your going to want to put a sofa in the kitchen just so you can sit & watch the cabinets. I'm serious about that.