Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Cabinets, and lots of them...

Looks great so far. Is this getting stained like the cabinets?

Yes, the same finish.

With painters almost finished with painting the house I have moved my spraying to garage:

h14.jpg

Started installation. Believe it or not, installing it took as much time as building it! It was a bear to install it tight in between the cabinets, plus
    connecting the ducts at the top and to the hood liner....

h15.jpg

And here are the final pics:

h16.jpgh17.jpgh18.jpg

I made some molding to go on the uppers:

cab45.jpgcab46.jpg

Then we had the counter-tops installed. We were lucky we could find these 5 slabs as both my wife and myself loved the color and the slabs were big enough to get the island one piece: 112" x 72" and it weighs roughly 1100-1200lb. It took 5 guys to carry/install it:

cab39.jpgcab41.jpg

Then started working on the frieze and the crown:

cab43.jpgcab42.jpg

My target is to finish the house in less than a month. Have been busy staining baseboards as well as doing the cabinets.
    The back splash went on this week, all marble. The darker accent was 12x12 that I got it cut by CNC waterjet at a shop and then
    took home to my shop to sand the edges to give micro bevel. Crowns were done a while ago.
    Today I started putting up the doors and have started putting the light valance. The lower doors won't go on until after the hardwood is installed (don't want any damage on them!):

cab47.jpgcab49.jpg

cab50.jpgcab51.jpgcab52.jpg

And here are two (of 4) piles of hardwood. They will start on it from Monday.

cab53.jpg

Did I miss the post indicating what method you were using to drill shelf-pin and hinge holes?

Gorgeous work. I love all the cabinet work you've done but I really like that very last shot in post #50. The layout (arched entryway vs. windows and island vs. fireplace) and scale of that space is very well done. It is very pleasing to the eye. It is a comforting space.

Beautiful. That is as professional as it gets. I still think you have 7 brothers helping you.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Thanks.

Phil, I made a template from 3/8" mdf and made the holes 3/8". Then used one of these 5mm bits in my router (with an adaptor) plus a bushing guide
    http://www.richelieu.com/ca/en/categ...T204005?fr=fav
    to drill the holes (shelves and hing plates).

Beautiful! (I'm running out of expletives.)
    So when is the Open House?
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Thanks.
    I expect it to be finished in a month or so but won't be moving until after I take a long much needed vacation. It's almost two years of non-stop work.

Blog Entries
    My, my, that is a boatload of mighty fine work.
    NOW you tell me...

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    So when is the SMC Members & Contributors​ Open House?
    Bruce - corrected your post for you.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Excellent work, wonderful to see your progress, you have definitely earned a vacation!
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel

Blog Entries
    Could you go over your finishes please? I think I read the whole thread but don't see much on that. I see you have prefinished ply (Maple or walnut?), purchased doors and raw ply (or veneer) and solid wood. Were the purchased doors finished or unfinished? How did you finish the raw wood, and did you veneer the case ends if they were prefinished something-other-than-walnut?
    NOW you tell me...

Thank you all.

Ole, in post #2 you can see I'm finishing the doors. Everything except the birch ply (which was pre-finished) was unfinished. The boxes are pre-finished birch but for some of the gables I used walnut ply that I sprayed/finished before assembly (those two boxes next to the range hood). For some others I added a false gable from walnut ply (like the two boxes to the sides of the kitchen sink). The edge-banding is real wood (walnut) that was finished after assembly, that was a painful thing to do. The whole kitchen is a mix of plywood (birch and Walnut), solid wood, and some veneer (like the range hood).
    The finish is a very very light mist of #89 RTM stain from General Finish (just to take away the yellow tone of walnut and make it closer to the Santos Mahogany flooring). Then followed by 4 coats of pre-cat urethane by GF.