Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cabinets, and lots of them...

Cabinets, and lots of them...

As some of you now it's over a year and a half that I'm busy with building several things for a house we are building for ourselves.
    The main thread of that has moved here:

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...ing&highlight=

My last major project is the cabinets (1 kitchen, 6 bathrooms, 1 laundry). I started cutting the parts for the boxes back in the summer.
    First was a trip to a local supplier and I came home with about 55 sheets of ply (mostly prefinished birch and some walnut), plus some walnut lumber. The doors are raised panel mitered out of walnut. I had initially planned to make the doors (got the shaper cutters for them) but realized I have way too many things going and making 130+ doors (mitered with profile on the rails/stiles) wasn't going to fit in my schedule. So decided to buy the doors and I am SUPER GLAD I made that decision. The doors came on a pallet back in the summer. Unfortunately I have lost many pictures I took due to the memory card in my cell going bad.

First, I made a simple jig using Incra T-tracks to make parallel cuts using track saw.

cab1.jpgcab2.jpgcab3.jpg

Here are a lot of parts prepared.

cab4.jpgcab5.jpgcab6.jpg

Edge banding is real wood (walnut). And here is my setup to trim the edges using a very small round over bit (1/16). Yes, all the parts that were small enough went to basement (shop) to get this done.

cab7.jpg

The boxes are done using domino and screws:

cab8.jpg

I also started making some posts for the island and the sides of the range:

cab12.jpgcab13.jpgcab14.jpgcab15.jpg

All the parts were moved to the house back in summer and remained in one room until now.
    Fast forward 7 months I have started moving the box parts out to sort them out and started making the boxes:

cab9.jpg

But in the mean time have started spraying the doors and all the other parts that need finishing. This end is where the kitchen will be.

cab10.jpgcab11.jpgcab16.jpg

I have put all the boxes together except for the island (as I don't have room to store them), then went through the painful process of staining the wood edge banding and then putting top coat on them (I should have had used PVC edge banding but now that's done).
    Started installing the boxes on Friday. Managed to put all the bathroom boxes and some for the kitchen over the weekend.

Putting a corner cabinet box together with the hardware:

cab17.jpgcab18.jpg

Here are some of the bathroom boxes:

cab19.jpg

and the kitchen:

cab20.jpgcab21.jpg

My hats off to you-that's a lot of cabinets!!! I have only made cabinets for a small townhouse kitchen and that was a headache.

As usual Mreza what a chunk of work. Hats off to you. I like your posts and was thinking of doing something similar for my island. Are your post lamanated or is that one honking hunk of walnut?

Mesa, I did my kitchen cabinets, but pale in the work you have done. I admire you, but I am thinking you have 7 or 8 twin brothers helping you. Not only the amount of wor, but the detail and design you have done.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

Nice job! I find when I stretch that big of project out over a long period of time, I loose part/forget where everything goes but apparently you got it down. Those post look awesome!!!!! It's a shame walnut doesn't get used that much.... at least in my region.
    Only one life will soon be past
    Only whats done for Christ will last

Thank you all.

Quote Originally Posted by David Nelson1 View Post
    As usual Mreza what a chunk of work. Hats off to you. I like your posts and was thinking of doing something similar for my island. Are your post lamanated or is that one honking hunk of walnut?
    Posts are laminated from 8/4. Final size is about 4 3/4".

Quote Originally Posted by William C Rogers View Post
    Mesa, I did my kitchen cabinets, but pale in the work you have done. I admire you, but I am thinking you have 7 or 8 twin brothers helping you. Not only the amount of wor, but the detail and design you have done.
    I'm working alone and have a day time job which I have been busier at since Jan. So I get only the evenings (after work) and the weekends to spend on these but I have pretty much cut everything else in my life. Long days of work, 7 days a week....I need a break after this house is done, a LONG break.

Did you say 6 bathrooms?

Excellent work by the way. I really like your router jig for the lathe.

Quote Originally Posted by mreza Salav View Post

I'm working alone and have a day time job which I have been busier at since Jan. So I get only the evenings (after work) and the weekends to spend on these but I have pretty much cut everything else in my life. Long days of work, 7 days a week....I need a break after this house is done, a LONG break.
    You have a day job? Your real name must be Clark Kent because from the work you get done mreza Salav looks like a superhero!
    "Whether you think you can, or you think you can’t - you’re right."
    - Henry Ford

This is freakin amazing. The amount of work you are accomplishing here and the quality of the end results are mind boggling to me. Simply fantastic and thanks for posting these photos.

Matt, it is a 5-bedroom house each with its own bathroom (plus a half bath).
    Thanks again for the encouraging words. I am still behind where I wanted to be but I guess I should be glad with my achievements so far.

Mreza, you are one hard working dude!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

The cabinets look great! I'm hoping my wife lets me make ours. You may know this but walnut fades in color with sunlight (the opposite of cherry which gets darker). Using an outdoor finish with UV blockage will slow this. I like my walnut furniture but I've been a bit disappointed in it fading. I put caps on the newel posts in the old house and I had to replace those. They got real light - the staircase got a lot of sunlight. The replacements were cherry. (right now we are liking Hickory. I haven't made furniture out of it yet but I've put down about 800 square feet of prefinished flooring that we like).

Looking good, nice work, impressive columns! Love your pictorials.
    "A good miter set up is like yoga pants: it makes everyone's butts look good." Prashun Patel