Thread: Question about saw setting tools

Question about saw setting tools

I'm looking to get more into hand tools as I've been doing lots of research on saws. While I'm finding plenty of information about what saws to buy, how to sharpen, etc, I've been getting no specifics regarding saw set tools. The most I've found is simply to use a saw set.

When I look on Lee Valley, they have 2 tools, $25 each, and I can't tell what makes them better than a $2 saw set from 1901 that I could get on eBay. Could someone explain what I should be looking for in a saw set, or provide me a link to some more information?

Much appreciated.

I have a Stanley set (42× iirc) and it does everything I need a saw set to do. Of the two at LV I'd get the courser one (4-12 teeth) as I would think that would accommodate most of the saws in your workshop. Do you have saws with more than 12 points? If so then you might wanna get both. If total new to sharping/setting I'd probably just get the course one for now and get my feet wet.

But hopefully someone can answer your question better than I.

And welcome to the creek. Good luck.

Maybe you've already done a little searching, but if not...

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...recomendations

And

https://www.google.com/search?sitese...y=0&gws_rd=ssl
    Last edited by Judson Green; 02-10-2015 at 10:18 AM.
    I got cash in my pocket. I got desire in my heart....

What you get with a new tool purchase is mechanical integrity.
    The new Somax sets work, every time.

Some of the antique sets work well, but most will need adjustment.
    I can't justify spending three days fiddling with a $2 dollar tool.

Blog Entries
    Some of those inexpensive saw sets may have been for setting the teeth on a logging saw as opposed to a shop saw.

There have been a bunch of saw sets in my shop. All but the Stanley 42xes have been sold.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Thanks everyone. I think I have my answer: stop trying to save a buck, nothing about woodworking is cheap.