Thread: Cyclone System Design

Cyclone System Design

I am getting ready to start installing my cyclone system. My system will use my 3hp Jet 1900 blower/motor and two Wynn Filters 1425's. I was origanally going to install the filters on the 1900, but bought the ebay cyclone. I will need to cut the bottom of the filters to stack them. All of the designs I have seen show the inlet at the top of the filters. Seems to me the dust bypassing the cyclone would collect in the filters rather than falling into the clean out box at the bottom. I was thinking of putting a pipe inside at least as long as the first filter in the stack. Does this seem like a good idea, or not?
    I will also do some more testing of the 30ga pipe. Just had a few setbacks and we got two puppies that are taking a lot of time now. I will post that once I have done it.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

If getting the dust to settle in the cleanout was as easy as installing a longer pipe, you wouldn't need a cyclone.

The reality is there will be a lot of CFM coming into those filters, and any entrained dust will be carried to the filter media no matter what.

The purpose of the cleanouts is to allow you to bang/blast the filters so cake falls down into the cleanout (all done while the unit is "off") and then you can empty the cleanout.

As soon as you crank-up the cyclone again, anything left in the cleanouts will likely be right back in the filters.

Thanks Phil. I just didn't know. I see all the systems do that.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.