Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Lee Valley PM-V11 Plane Iron Edge Question

I have had the same issues with an apron plane and a LVBUJ. I even contacted LV and they suggested a 30 degree bevel which did help but still have issues with the edge chipping. I experienced chipping in cherry, alder, and poplar. Surprisingly alder was the worse! Haven't figured out why because Alder is relatively soft. I ended up selling the apron plane because my A2 blade did the same thing as the PM-11. I use my LVBUJ for roughing work so I don't care if the edge chips.

I have had had the best luck with LN A2 blades. Not sure why but I do!

There is something wrong there. I have used an A2 blade in a LA Jack ground at 25 degrees (never mind 30 degrees) on endgrain for many years and never experienced chipping. Recently this was replaced with PM-V11, and the results were even better. There are test results on my website to back this up.

Regards from Perth

Derek

I know a lot of people have great experiences with the new PM steel and in terms of sharpness I have too however, I have experienced micro chipping on both A2 and PM blades. I ground the blade as suggested by the manufacture and other woodworkers and the blade performance did not improve, especially with the apron plane. The LVBUJ is much better but still chips after minimal use.

Contact LV and send the blade(s) back. I think that LV would expect this.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Blog Entries
    I have an apron plane, bu smoother, and bu jack plane. I've had them for years. I've experienced no chipping whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Contact LV and send the blade(s) back. I think that LV would expect this.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Agree with Derek. I am sure Lee Valley will want to address this. I have a ton of planes from Veritas and have not experienced this with any of them.

Stewie, too cryptic for me. What are you saying?

Regards from Perth

Derek

Stewie,
    that was my post on Woodnet. I didn't post it here because I have seen conversations around brand of tools explode here and I wanted to avoid that
    So, no explosions please.
    that you also aspire to lead a quiet life, to mind your own business, and to work with your own hands, as we commanded you...
    1 Thessalonians 4:11

Hi Bob. I have removed the attachment.

regards Stewie;

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Jones View Post
    Stewie,
    that was my post on Woodnet. I didn't post it here because I have seen conversations around brand of tools explode here and I wanted to avoid that
    So, no explosions please.
    Quite! Around here you get your entire thread deleted by the mods if you don't show the expected level of reverence to the Tool God.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

A follow up to my earlier post concerning LV PM-11 blades. As mentioned before I sold the apron plane and primarily used my LVBUJ for roughing work. I decided to give the PM-11 blade another shot so I took my time and sharpened it again with a 32-33 degree micro bevel and have been using it on a curly maple project. So far it has performed as well as my LN 4 1/2.

Jim, I did the same on my Stanley 4-1/2 and it works much better now.