Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Delta 14" bandsaw refurb issue...

Delta 14" bandsaw refurb issue...

I purchased a used Delta 14" Bandsaw (28-203) and began to clean it up for use in my shop. This saw had very little use from the original owner and was stored for years. A couple of test cuts in some pine resulted in bits of rubber being deposited on the table so I opened it up to find the upper tire half way off and rubbing on the enclosure. I adjusted the tracking and tension and experienced the same issue. Inspecting the tires I noticed cracks and flat spots so I decided to replace the tires.

Last night I put on a set of Carter Ultra Blue tires and have run into problems. I've got a 1/4" blade on the saw and in trying to get the tension anywhere near adequate the upper wheel slide bracket is raised so high the hub on the wheel is coming into contact with the enclosure and grinding itself. The tension indicator is at 1/8" and the wheel is so bound that it is hard to spin by hand. I took the upper wheel off to clean it and did notice a washer on the backside of the wheel that I assume is standard.

There is a noticeable difference between the thickness of the stock tire and the Carter so I assume the issue is that the overall diameter of the wheels is so much reduced that the upper wheel slide bracket needs to raise so much more that the wheel is now rubbing on the enclosure. What is my fix here? Should I try shimming the upper wheel outboard some with another washer?

Meanwhile my Delta sits idle with new tires and the Carter Bandsaw Upgrade Kit install…

IMG_2081.JPG IMG_2082.JPG

Could be your spring is shot? When I had an old Delta I replaced the stock spring with a carter (I think, it was yellow and sold at WC) and I was surprised at the difference. The stock spring seemed to have shrunk in comparison, probably took on some memory from being compressed for decades.

Cool Band Saw

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Welsh View Post
    I purchased a used Delta 14" Bandsaw (28-203) and began to clean it up for use in my shop. This saw had very little use from the original owner and was stored for years. A couple of test cuts in some pine resulted in bits of rubber being deposited on the table so I opened it up to find the upper tire half way off and rubbing on the enclosure. I adjusted the tracking and tension and experienced the same issue. Inspecting the tires I noticed cracks and flat spots so I decided to replace the tires.

Last night I put on a set of Carter Ultra Blue tires and have run into problems. I've got a 1/4" blade on the saw and in trying to get the tension anywhere near adequate the upper wheel slide bracket is raised so high the hub on the wheel is coming into contact with the enclosure and grinding itself. The tension indicator is at 1/8" and the wheel is so bound that it is hard to spin by hand. I took the upper wheel off to clean it and did notice a washer on the backside of the wheel that I assume is standard.

There is a noticeable difference between the thickness of the stock tire and the Carter so I assume the issue is that the overall diameter of the wheels is so much reduced that the upper wheel slide bracket needs to raise so much more that the wheel is now rubbing on the enclosure. What is my fix here? Should I try shimming the upper wheel outboard some with another washer?

Meanwhile my Delta sits idle with new tires and the Carter Bandsaw Upgrade Kit install…

IMG_2081.JPG IMG_2082.JPG
    Contact Louis Iturra at 904-642-2802,He is a wizard on band saws.He also designs and sells improved parts,his catalog($6) has tons of info for adjusting and restoring..

Matt, I'm confused and perhaps I'm missing something. Though I probably could use a new yellow spring won't a newer, stiffer spring just push the slide upward with more pressure and compound the issue?

Blog Entries
    I don't have experience with a Delta bandsaw however, I did follow Duginske's book when setting up my Jet.
    I used shims, not washers to move the upper wheel out.

I also would go online and try to find a factory manual for the saw that you own. I was able to find the Jet manual online and download a .pdf copy of it.

Also, I would check and see if the blade length your using is correct.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Rowland View Post
    Contact Louis Iturra at 904-642-2802,He is a wizard on band saws.He also designs and sells improved parts,his catalog($6) has tons of info for adjusting and restoring..
    Do this ^^^^^^^^^^
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I had the same problem on my new Delta X5 bandsaw which I purchased in 2006. It's slightly different because it has the quick tension release, and I think a beefier spring. There's a very thin factory washer there. I left it on and added a standard washer. I think it was a 1/2 inch washer. This also made my wheels co-planar. If you still have the problem after adding a washer, try adding another.

You said the when rubs when the blade isn't fully tensioned right? I assumed it was rubbing on the top and a new spring would give higher tension and keep the wheel lower. I may have misunderstood your problem though.

I agree with Matt. I think the spring is shot or the blade length is wrong (too long). Getting the wheels coplaner is good, too, but I don't see how it could be the source of your problem unless the wheel is rubbing on the back of the guard.

John

Carter tires are thinner than stock and the blade is at the long end of acceptable range so you're running out of travel before the blade is tensionned. A 1/2" shorter blade or thicker tires will fix the problem. (I've restored about a dozen Delta 14" bandsaws in the past few years...)

Blog Entries
    From your description I say blade length as well. It is the wheel position that is at issue here.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by John Lanciani View Post
    Carter tires are thinner than stock and the blade is at the long end of acceptable range so you're running out of travel before the blade is tensionned. A 1/2" shorter blade or thicker tires will fix the problem. (I've restored about a dozen Delta 14" bandsaws in the past few years...)
    This was my first thought, too. I know Sulfur Grove sells tires in two thicknesses.
    Last edited by Phil Thien; 02-10-2015 at 9:17 PM.

I never use the tension markings to tension.
    Do it with the flutter method. Has never failed me.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I contacted Iturra today for a catalog not for anything in particular but because I have seen tidbits of it and there is so much good bandsaw info in there. Anyway I thought I would post because I see so many comments from folks that have a hard time getting in touch or have had and have also had a hard time getting a catalog. Maybe some folks are discouraged. I called today during normal business hours and made contact right off. They sell their catalog now or if you know what you want to buy and place an order, they will put one in free of charge with the order. They only charge $6.00 for the catalog if you aren't ordering at the time and it looks like they ship it pretty much within a day or two of receiving the credit card order. At any rate, if you want a catalog, give them a call...they might just be a source that you really need to have on your ammo belt for when your bandsaw ends up with issues you want to try to resolve.

Quote Originally Posted by James Nugnes View Post
    I contacted Iturra today for a catalog not for anything in particular ........
    If you do have a particular problem, you can get Louis on the phone. Always seemed to me that he really likes talking on the subject, and he really does seem to know everything there is to know.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.