Thread: how to measure viscosity

how to measure viscosity

Hello
    I am trying to use a new product that came without a viscosity on the data sheet. It also doesn't have the Centepoise on the sheet (as if I know what that is). It is called acrylic poly UV Plus http://www.epoxyproducts.com/datapolyplus.pdf . I believe I need to get the viscosity before I know what type of cap and nozzle to use. Can anyone recommend how to find the right viscosity measuring cup? There are several types and I don't know which to start with.

DAn

Are you aware that the product is supposed to be applied with an airless sprayer? A standard sprayer will not work well. I recommend that you contact the manufacturer and discuss your questions with them.
    Howie.........

Dan, what project is this for?
    Scott Vroom

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.

Howie, on the data sheet it says conventional sprayer. Where or how do you see that it won't work well with a standard sprayer (I don't really know what that means to be honest.) I usually use an HVLP gravity cup gun (though I haven't sprayed this stuff yet). the Manufacturer was not helpful. at all.

scott. I am spraying wood shell helmets I build. you can see them at http://coyledesignandbuild.com/

Just grab a tip and try it, Daniel. You should have some idea of the viscosity as you're mixing it. It's good to do some test runs anyhow, and selecting the tip is really no different than dialing in the gun. I'm shocked that the manufacturer couldn't recommend a tip. That's such basic information.

One thing, though...read through that MSDS very carefully before you start. I have a feeling there are going to be some particularly nasty things in that concoction.

Daniel, I visited your web page and really like your product. Have you considered using a wood stabilizing process on the helmets? Once you are set up it would be an easy, efficient and durable resin finish. I realize you are probably ten steps ahead but thought I would mention it. I just made some mallets and was amazed with the characteristics od stabilized wood. After sanding to 600 I buffed them with Tripoli and White Diamond to a super smooth surface. Good luck!
    TB