Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Remember When ......

Remember When ......

Let's date ourselves. Tell a few things you remember from the old days...

I remember:

1. When soft drinks came in glass 1 gallon and 1/2 gallon bottles you returned for refunds.
    2. When the high-beam switch was on the floor left of the brake and clutch pedals.
    3. The only people with tattoos were military, felons, and bikers.
    4. When Ken Fitzgerald was young.....just kidding, after all I'm not THAT old.

What do you remember?

I remember that my granddad had a car with these little side window vents. They didnt roll down like the big/main windows - they kind of rotated open. And that car had manual (roll down) windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    I remember that my granddad had a car with these little side window vents. They didnt roll down like the big/main windows - they kind of rotated open. And that car had manual (roll down) windows.
    Frederick, I think many of us called those wings if it looks like this:

wing.jpg

Blog Entries
    I remember:

1) Learning how to drive with my dad in a 67 Chevy El Camino (283 V-8 w 2 Speed Automatic Trans.).
    2) Going to a little store and buying a coke, a snack and a pack of cigarettes with a $1 and getting some change back.
    3) Gasoline costing about $.12 per gallon.
    4) Walking by a hardware store near us that was full of Delta woodworking equipment (this was back in the 60's).
    5) Vince Lombardi's Packer teams.

I could go on all day I guess.

PHM

Blog Entries
    I remember when they delivered milk in glass bottles, and I remember when they stopped that, but we would go to the dairy for the milk, and watch them milk the cows.

I remember when we would ride in the back window... not seat,but the window... of my mom's 1972 Pontiac, which, by the way, had a big block V8.

...when they had road construction and they would put out these things called "smudge pots" that actually had a wick that burned to warn you of road work as opposed to flashing lights. I remember my dad hit one once!

... when we would walk up to the gate at the airport to see my dad off, and meet him at the gate when he landed.

... when my high school got these new things called personal computers made by this company called Apple. They had something like 64K of memory. K- not Mb! We learned to write a program in BASIC that you could put in your birth date and it would tell you your age. We mostly used them to play pong.

Blog Entries
    I remember:

When people actually talked to each other during meals at a restaurant.

When I could ride my bike to the gas station, fill a gallon can with gas for 20 cents and send the other five cents on bubble gum to chew while cutting grass on a Saturday to earn spending money.

When I could run four miles each morning in 28 minutes and still work a full 8 hour day.

When you could buy good plywood at almost any place that sold lumber.

Civil Defense drills in school where you had to crouch down under your desk until they said it was all clear and there were big boxes of emergency supplies under the stairwells of all public buildings.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

3 on the tree

"Sure, you can pick through the pile."

"So, what do you want to do tonight?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Let's date ourselves. Tell a few things you remember from the old days...

4. When Ken Fitzgerald was young.....just kidding, after all I'm not THAT old.

What do you remember?
    Huh! What did I do to deserve such treatment?

1. I remember riding on the seat of a wooden horse drawn wagon which had "bank boards" on each side. With 2 uncles on one side and my maternal grandfather and another uncle on the other side, they each took two rows and shucked the corn and threw it into the wagon. It wasn't until a couple years ago I figured out the two horses named Dolly and Joe were obeying Grandpa's verbal commands and not my 5 year old hands on the reins.

2. I remember the same grandfather and an uncle trying to dig the basement for the aunt and uncle's new house using the same team of horses to pull a huge shovel. That Indiana limestone was so close to the surface that they gave up that idea and hired a guy who used dynamite and a backhoe.

3. I remember my first car was a 1949 Plymouth Coupe. It was sold after I was caught.....well I won't go there.....

4. I can remember I replaced that coupe with '56 Chevy 2 door sedan, 3 on the tree, with manual OD and a 265 CI engine for a few months. Driving too fast one night a wrist pin broke, the rod chewed up the cylinder, punched a hole through the cylinder wall. I was rushing home to meet a curfew deadline after a friend and I met some new girls in a nearby town. Oh well! One overhauled 283 CI engine later I had more horse power!

5. I remember trading the '56 Chevy for a '64 Chevy SS Impala convertible, lagoon aqua in color with white bucket seats and top, 300 HP, 327 CI engine and a 4-Speed manual transmission. I had moved to a new town with the '56 baby blue. Once I traded for the convertible getting a date became a whole lot easier!

6. I can remember getting a notice to report for a draft physical. At that time there was no draft lottery system and in Illinois if you passed the physical, weren't married with children, a school teacher or in college, the day you passed the physical you had 90 days of freedom left.

BTW....I will be old enough to draw my full SS benefits this year......I'm not that old.....
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 02-10-2015 at 7:21 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Ken,

I was teasing you, but wouldn't it be great for you to still own your first three cars today?

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    And a AM radio only as an option
    Universal Laser ILS 12.150D (48"x24") 135 watts total, with 60 watt and 75 watt laser cartridges. Class 4 Module (pass thru ability). Photograv 3.0, Corel X6, Adobe Design Standard CS4 Suite, Engrave Lab laser Version 8, Melco Single Head Comercial Embroidery Machine, The Magic Touch System with Oki C711WT printer, and Graphtec CE6000-60 plotter.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Ken,

I was teasing you, but wouldn't it be great for you to still own your first three cars today?
    Of course I realized you were teasing and yes, especially the '64 SS Impala convertible. I met my wife less than 2 weeks before I left for boot camp after enlisting in the US Navy. She only rode in it a few times. We both still would love to have it back!
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lassiter View Post
    Yes...but I installed a "spring-type" reverb unit in the trunk of the convertible. It sounded great until you hit a big bump or went across a railroad crossing too fast!
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lassiter View Post
    You had a radio!?!?!?!

We had to beg my dad to buy a car with a radio. He didn't want to spend the 'extra'.

I remember when citrus fruit had seeds!

Re the price of gas: my friend had a Corvair. When the needle pointed to 'E' we would look under the seats, find a quarter and be good for the rest of the night.

Every family only had 1 car. If they had a car.

I remember the days of cranks to raise and lower the windows... oh wait, that was earlier today in my Saturn! And no CD player, no cassette player, no 8 track player, no MP3 player... Hey, that's my Saturn!

My first car had a three on the tree, downshift when it rained to keep the wipers going. And open the vent windows turn them all the way around for some real ventilation!

-Tom