Thread: Hide Glue gram strength rating

Hide Glue gram strength rating

What strength glue do you use?... I just purchased some Behlen's hide glue...and i fine out that it is rated at 164 gram strength. i see on some mail order and blog sites that hight gram ratings are stronger than the lower and that the lower (192 eg.) is for veneering/marquetry whereas the higher 251 and above is for more structural joinery like cabinetmaking and furniture. Did I buy the wrong glue? If so why does woodcraft sell it without specifying it as lower strength? Or does it really matter?

I use Old Brown Glue liquid hide glue, which is nominally rated at 192. The trade off for higher gram strength is shorter open time. My advice (not that you asked) would be for you to glue a simple test joint, then apply force till failure. If the wood fails before the glue, then you can't really do better than that.

At one time, I was experimenting with home made rice glue. I face glued two 1 x 1 x 12 inch sticks together at 90 degrees. A 1 inch square glue surface area. On failure, the glue bond broke before the wood, but the amount force I had to apply told me that rice glue was good for many types of applications. Probably not chairs though.

I use 192 gram extra clear hide glue for everything I build. As previously posted, the higher the gram strength the quicker it gels.. The quicker gel could be an advantage for hammer veneering, but for general furniture building, I haven't ever wanted for more than 192 gram glue..

So buying the Behlen's glue with 164gram strength was no good? Should I use the Behlen's or get a higher gram strength glue?

Yes, use it. Make a test joint then try and break it if that will ease your mind. If it is gelling up too quickly urea or canning salt can be added. I use a 1/2 cup of M&H 192g with 1.5-2 teaspoons canning salt. Err on the side of less salt, too much and it won't gel.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

Quote Originally Posted by joe maday View Post
    So buying the Behlen's glue with 164gram strength was no good? Should I use the Behlen's or get a higher gram strength glue?
    I would just use it, but if does make you feel better try some on a test piece first.. Just in case you didn't know, Milligan and Higgins (M & H) is the only US company that still manufactures hide glue..