Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: C. 1870 Buck rip saw

Blog Entries
    Just be glad it doesn't have a bucolic farm scene painted on it.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

HAHAHA, yes I am glad it doesn't!

Its a nice looking old saw Kyle (pity about the recent chip off the horn) but not super rare as Buck brand saws were produced over many years (I've found a couple of similar Buck saws here at local estate sales in Ontario, although that doesn't mean I will ever find another).
    Although the same handle shape, and split nut screws, were used on some English saws into the 1900s, I think an 1870/1880 guesstimate is closer to the age of your saw.
    I wouldn't hesitate to work at removing the red rust, and more if you want to (It is your saw) to make it fully serviceable and presentable.
    I don't usually try to remove the old split nut style screws as my past attempts have sometimes ended in poor results, but Phil Baker routinely removes the handles off rare old collector grade backsaws and recommends this be done (yes, you do need a special screwdriver that tightly fits the slots). As Jim says, you have to be careful with those screws as they are a lot more fragile than modern saw screws. You also have to carefully mark the location and orientation of each screw as you remove it because each one is a little different after being sanded flat to the handle during manufacturing, and they won't sit flat again unless they're replaced in exactly the same location and rotation. So be careful if you go ahead with removing the handle.
    Good luck on your renovation.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Beauchesne View Post
    Kyle:

If it is a true ' collector ' piece, the adage from the Antiques Roadshow is valid - ' DON'T CLEAN IT ' - the same goes for real collector tools; let the person buying it decide what they want to do to preserve it - that is the only advice I can give - If kept in a dry spot without temperature fluctuations, the amount the existing corrosion is going to advance over the next five years will likely be so negligible that it doesn't matter. As Jim said YMMV!

I would just hate to see it being a desirable saw and the value halved ( or worse ) because the wrong snake oil was applied to it, or some light cleaning ruined its collectability. Again, this is just my humble opinion. Dave B
    I doubt this saw is rare or valuable. If mine, I would clean the blade and sharpen it. I might not use it as I already have an adequate arsenal of saws. Removing the handle is a vexed question with split nuts - there is a good chance of damaging them; and if handle is securely fixed, I would not remove the nuts. I would also repair the handle.

The UK Antiques Roadshow experts (well, dealers anyway) consistently suggest to restore pieces.

Blog Entries
    The UK Antiques Roadshow experts (well, dealers anyway) consistently suggest to restore pieces.
    American antique dealers are interested in getting top dollar (or top pound) more than they are about a tool getting to a person who will put it to use.

Often when you find a hollow and round planes sold through an antique dealer it has been sprayed with clear lacquer.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

What would be the benefit of spraying with lacquer? More shine, better pictures?

It would seem to trap grime under it, since I assume they would not a do a good job of cleaning.