Thread: Renovating the shop layout

Renovating the shop layout

It's time to move up in the shop. I have a new DC to assemble, install, and put to work. I am also planning on getting a new tablesaw (SS PCS with 1.75HP motor and 36" fence) and compound mitersaw (Bosch Glider, I'd prefer the smaller 10" but it isn't that much smaller, lighter, or cheaper so it might be the 12")

But it doesn't fit in the current shop layout. So let's have some fun.

Here is my current shop layout. What or how should I renovate it?

Current_Shop_Layout.jpg

First the additions/subtractions:
    1) There is a scrollsaw that is currently living elsewhere that needs to get into the WW shop area.
    2) The old tablesaw is about 30"Dx48"W. The SS PCS is 36"Dx68"W.
    3) The mitersaw will need a place to live
    4) As well as the oscillating spindle sander that currently resides on the floor in the 'closet' shaped area.
    5) The DC is a cyclone which is much larger than the older single bag.

Here are the rules and restrictions:
    1) The tractor (pictured in snowblower mode) stays. It's 50 years and has been doing a wonderful job this winter. We aren't kicking it out to the shed in the cold.
    2) Some of the shelf on the right can go. Some of it. It is spare parts and supply storage, so it is very much needed.
    3) The "interior walls" near the shelves can go. How often to you get that option? (The wall space was nice, but I think they are impeding progress and reducing work area)
    4) There are three walkways/entrances. The door in the lower left, the backdoor in the upper right, and a walkway in the lower right between the jointer and snowblower. Each marked in gray or black. These can't move.
    5) There is a solid wall (not colored/shown) under the center beam at the bottom of the picture, behind the tablesaw and lumber rack.
    6) The DC doesn't have to be in the area. But unfortunately the only space outside the area available is behind the bandsaw.

Here is what I have spent hours coming up with and it doesn't all fit yet. The mitersaw is 'outside' and the spindle sander is on the workbench.

New Shop Layout v1.jpg

The shop is 13' (top to bottom) by 22' (left to right).
    Last edited by Anthony Whitesell; 02-11-2015 at 3:18 PM. Reason: Adding details

Depending on how low the wall lumber rack is the MS would be a good fit under it. I have mine like this, you won't have to go far to break down long boards. Move the jointer out @ 3' but the same orientation so you can walk between them and you can stack your cut parts on it. I have my router table at the same height butted up to the right end of the TS extension table. I have basically a cirlce around the middle of the shop where my TS is. As long as the pathway around this circle can fit my shop vac and any clutter on one surface doesn't interfere with another I'm happy. the scroll saw I would try to pair it in a base with a shelf with a similar sized machine such as the spindle sander for on at a time use or with a back to back orientation for one dust drop to use for both.
    If your anything like some of us as soon as you get the new set up perfected you will pick up another toy and shuffle the deck again.
    Have fun.
    Last edited by mike mcilroy; 02-11-2015 at 3:07 PM.

The lowest lumber shelf is just above the top of the jointer, about 4'. The rack does not hold "long" lumber. I don't have long lumber. When long lumber enters my shop, it stays there only long enough to be cut into short lumber. The lumber rack holds only 2'-3' boards. I am hoping that with the rearrangement I can get the 4 footers on there too.

From top to bottom (center joist to foundation wall), the shop is 13'. From left to right, 22' total.

I think I might try to figure out how to put the oscillating sander and scroll saw together on a flip-top cart. Can't imagine you would need those at the same time. That would save the foot print of one tool. Although the working height of the tools might be an issue...
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

I thought of that as I was writing the OP. The problem is the Dewalt scrollsaw is a monster! I was thinking however, the planer is a Delta lunchbox and sits on a fliptop cart. I was wondering if the spindle sander would fit on the opposite side. That would however displace all the stuff that has accumulated under the planer.

EDIT: I just measured the flip top. It is wide enough. It is deep enough. It might just be tall enough. The spindle sander is about 18.5" to the top of the spindle. The space under the flip is just short of 19". It would be close.
    Last edited by Anthony Whitesell; 02-11-2015 at 6:28 PM.

Just realized the belt/ disc sander; that is begging to teamed up with the spindle sander on one stand. Could you lower the shelf on the right onto cabinets with drawers to retain the storage and then put the MS on top of that? Gives you the ability to break the wood down as it enters.Or move it higher and add the cabinet to hold the MS under the shelf? Ihave my MS on three side by side cabinets that have drawers on the outer cabinets and a space for a garbage can for cut offs under the saw. Depending on your storage needs instead of three full cabinets one for the garbage with a drawer above it and two narrow drawer towers on each side these could hold hinged extension tables.
    Last edited by mike mcilroy; 02-11-2015 at 7:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mike mcilroy View Post
    Just realized the belt/ disc sander; that is begging to teamed up with the spindle sander on one stand.
    The belt/disc sander is not exactly as pictured. The sander is belt driven by a motor mounted on the post below it. Additionally, it is a large having a 4" belt and 12" disc.

Quote Originally Posted by mike mcilroy View Post
    Could you lower the shelf on the right onto cabinets with drawers to retain the storage and then put the MS on top of that? Gives you the ability to break the wood down as it enters.Or move it higher and add the cabinet to hold the MS under the shelf? Ihave my MS on three side by side cabinets that have drawers on the outer cabinets and a space for a garbage can for cut offs under the saw. Depending on your storage needs instead of three full cabinets one for the garbage with a drawer above it and two narrow drawer towers on each side these could hold hinged extension tables.
    "lower the shelf on the right". If you are referring to the shelf over the tractor in the current layout and shortened by the cyclone in my proposed layout. The space below it is needed to park the tractor, note the overlap in the current layout.

I had not given any consideration to the space under a mitersaw stand replacing one of the sets of shelves. The larger set at top center is WW related stuff (16"x36"), the smaller set to the upper right (12"x30") is tractor and yard tool related items.

What would be the minimum width for a mitersaw station would be?

If you mean left to right the minimum would be your saw's width. If you wanted to add the garbage can plus a tower of 6" wide drawers on each side you'd probably be looking at 36"- 40". If you mean depth from the wall I have seen a set up with the cabinets tight against the wall a secondary table top would slide out to use the sliding feature of the saw when needed. However for mine I am leaving it 6" out from wall to accommodate a hood with the port behind and below the saw. Again the min size to fit your saw plus hinged wings would be the space saver but whatever compromise between storage and space could change a lot.