Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seeking Table Saw opinions

Seeking Table Saw opinions

Hi all,

I'm a newbie looking for my first table saw for the garage. Hopefully seeking advice from the forum is not seen to be in poor taste. I'm looking at an ad for a saw that seems promising, but I am not able to identify the specific model visually from the ad and the owner can't provide a model number until later this evening. I was hoping the more experienced here might be able to tell me if it's a good saw for the price and maybe some pros and cons. I'm wondering specifically if it can be wired for 110V. Right now it's 220V. It seems to have a decent fence.

https://dallas.craigslist.org/dal/tls/4886497774.html

Thanks in advance.

Aaron

It appears to be an older Unisaw. Says 220, so most likely it is a 3hp. It has the JoinTec miter sled which is excellent and was around $250-300 when they were in business. Not sure about the fence. Others will be able to identify the saw better than me. Doesn't look bad for $500.
    When working I had more money than time. In retirement I have more time than money. Love the time, miss the money.

It's right tilt with solid cast wings and a Unifence... could be a model 36-755, but can't be sure. Looks to be a good deal, but it doesn't state the model or horsepower of the motor. If it's 2hp or more, it's best run on 220v, and generally won't run on a standard residential 120v circuit. Make sure it's single phase, and not 3 phase, or you'll need a converter or VFD. If it is a 36-755, it'd likely be 2hp, which depending on your circuit and the amp draw of the motor, could be borderline for most 120v circuits, and might not even be convertible to 120v. A "Unisaw" usually states that on the front....if it's Unisaw with a single phase motor, it's a great deal.

That Jointech sled and Woodhaven miter gauge are worth a fair bit too. It'll probably move quickly at that price.
    Last edited by scott spencer; 02-11-2015 at 4:00 PM.
    Happiness is like wetting your pants...everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth....

That's a great deal if 1 phase, good deal if 3 phase. It's probably gone if you haven't left your house yet!

Yep. Delta Unisaw. Right-hand tilt.

With the mobile base, fence and miter sled, $500 is a steal.

You cannot rewire to 110. Short work for you or electrician to get 220 out of a breaker panel, usually.

My advice: If you are legitimately interested in getting a table saw, tell him you are on your way, put $500 cash in your pocket and get going - the model # is not of consequence, IMO - but you can always walk away when you get there. There a long list of Delta Unisaw model numbers in a fairly short number of years int eh 70's through 80's - just "new and improved" type of things from one to the next.

Looks a lot like the 36-750 in these photos:

http://vintagemachinery.org/photoind...l.aspx?id=8804

These things can disappear very, very quickly. Go - go - GO!!
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

I'd say jump on it quickly if you can. Very good deal all around.

Red
    RED

Thanks to everyone for the reply. I'm going to go and try to look at it tonight. Is there anything I should be paying attention to other than what's mentioned above (in the interest of gauging it's state of condition)?

Make sure the motor works of course. Raise and lower and tilt the blade. Most everything else is relatively easy to fix, like if it needs a new arbor bearing or belts. You can bring a good straightedge and check the table for flatness, and check the trunnions for cracks.
    Last edited by Matt Day; 02-11-2015 at 4:21 PM.

If you have to ask, it's already gone by now.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    If you have to ask, it's already gone by now.

Bah!! Humbug!!

When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Bah!! Humbug!!
    Yeah, I know. But, it happens all too often.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

Didn't Delta make something akin to a "Mini" Unisaw? That one just looks a little off to me.

That is NOT a Unisaw. Looks lit the Delta Hybrid.

Again, thanks to all who replied with comments/advice. I appreciate you taking the time. The saw got sold while I was driving there. Bummer.

Quote Originally Posted by Cary Falk View Post
    That is NOT a Unisaw. Looks lit the Delta Hybrid.
    OK - I'll bite - what are the indicators you see that makes it a hybrid? Not arguing - interested.