Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Glue Shelf Life

if you store it in the refrigerator, you can get up to 10 years out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Mine was Titebond. I only use the original and Titebond III. Can't remember why, but somewhere an article indicated Titebond II wasn't that great.
    Hmm, I mostly use Titebond original but seems like I read somewhere that Titebond II out sold all the others.

The Titebonds are all good glues. I normally have I, III and their Molding & Trim glue in my aresenal. III replaced II for me when it came out. I use I when I need a bit faster set and I use the M&T when I need a super fast set. Otherwise, III is pretty much my all-purpose glue. I wonder what IV will be like?
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

Quote Originally Posted by Max Neu View Post
    if you store it in the refrigerator, you can get up to 10 years out of it.
    Yeah, but it tastes lousy on a hot dog!

This is from the Franklin/Titebond website FAQ:

Our literature states the shelf life of all a majority of our wood glues as one two years. Titebond Liquid Hide Glue includes an expiration date on the bottle, because it can progressively lose its ability to dry hard, and this change is not visually obvious. Titebond Polyurethane Glue has a one-year shelf life in an unopened container, but is useable as long as the glue remains fluid. Polyurethanes, however, are designed to react when exposed to moisture. Sometimes, they begin to cure, and solidify, after the bottle has been opened. Most of our yellow and white glues, including Titebond Original and Titebond II, remain usable beyond two years. Should Titebond Original become thick and stringy, or Titebond II turn into an orange-colored gel, these changes signify that the glue is no longer usable. The minimum shelf life of Titebond III is stated as one two years. When stored appropriately at room temperature, Titebond III is expected to last beyond its stated shelf life. If thickened, shake vigorously by firmly tapping bottle on a hard surface until product is restored to original form.

I have kept Titebond II around for several years, even with the bottle opened. Never had an issue, even with the bottle I left in the shop while I was deployed and ended up using it up a little over a year later (wasn't doing a ton of work at the time). So, over two years on an open bottle of Titebond II.

When I was doing a lot of cabinets I bought a gallon of original Titebond. After about 7 years I finally gave up on that jug although I used it throughout that 7 years and never had any issues with it.