Thread: WoodRiver Universal Vise

WoodRiver Universal Vise

Woodriver Universal Vice.
    Anyone own one? Do they ever go on sale?

"Remember back in the day, when things were made by hand, and people took pride in their work?"
    - Rick Dale

Unless you need to have it in green, pick up the Shopfox version. It's rated pretty well.
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Parrot vises[/COLOR][COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]https://www.grizzly.com/products/Parrot-Vise/D3125[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]Amazon offers it slightly higher, but with free shipping[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]http://www.amazon.com/Shop-Fox-D3125-Parrot-Vise/dp/B0000DD4ZU[/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]
    [/COLOR]
    [COLOR=rgba(0, 0, 0, 0.701961)]
    [/COLOR]
    Maurice

Hold out for an original Wil-Burt vise.

The easily found "universal vise" with SWIVELING jaws that everyone sells is a much better option. Woodcraft sells them. They used to be German,and got very expensive till they started making them in Asia. The Asian ones seem of equal quality. We had the scrw strip out of a German one. Obviously it did not engage the threads of the nut very deeply at all. Which is common on Asian vises. Maybe the German one was actually Asian made? We happened to have a broken Asian machinist's vise in the shop which fit the German one perfectly. So,we did not have to bother turning a new screw.

I have used my universal vises for years(since the 60's) for the German one. Have used the Asian vises for many years too. They are good for guitar making due to the many tapered parts on guitars. I make new jaws and screw them on when the original beech ones wear out.

Still have to be careful and not bang too hard on that kind stuff, cause it's cast iron and can break. a real steel vise is much more expensive.
    David
    Confidence: That feeling you get before fully understanding a situation (Anonymous)

Heck for an iron one, scoot over to Lowes: http://www.lowes.com/pd_552526-281-4...7C1&facetInfo=

Yeah, it's Asian made, with the lovely Record label, to make you think of Jolly Old England, but a more substantial one that a Parrot Type.
    Maurice

I've been tempted by both the Shop Fox and the Woodriver. Only reason I haven't pulled the trigger on one is I waiting for PATINA in March, then the Brown Tool Sale & Auction and finally, Donnelly's auctions. Don't know if there is much difference between the two I mentioned, but enlarging photos of the two, show the latter looking just a bit better finished.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.