Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: looking for 6" flex hose quick disconnect

looking for 6" flex hose quick disconnect

I have plumbed most of my small shop but I share a 6" flex line between my planer and drum sander. The heavy duty flex line is heavy and hard to handle and it won't stay on the machine. The only thing I have come up so far is to get it put on my machine and then stick a self tapping sheet metal screw through the hose and into the metal fitting on my machine. Has any one found a solution for moving 6 inch hose around and getting it attached easily and securely?

I cut a short section of 6" pipe (PVC) that after a herculean effort I got inserted into the end of the flex. The I attached a sleeve to each of the two spots I wanted to be able to switch between and simply plug into them. I suspect it leaks a trifle but I live with it.

I just use a short piece of metal duct in the end of the 6" flex, and put some extra crimps in it. http://www.supplyhouse.com/Malco-SC3...KysaAnDg8P8HAQ

It stays in with no problem.

Spiral offers these (see attached photo) very heavy gauge twist bayonet disconnects which can connect to hose or be direct connected to metal or .. as shown here with a rubber "Fernco" fitting with clamps. They work fine and you can purchase male or female in the quantity needed. These happen to be 120mm J-lock style - they have every diameter imaginable. If I recall they were about $12 for the female and a bit more for the male.

Fernco ... very tricky to get the right size ... trial and error process of selection. Lots of expletives were uttered trying to get the disconnects into the Fernco.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 02-12-2015 at 1:30 PM. Reason: Fernco comments

Oneida Air has quick connects. I use one on my table saw...works great.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

The machines I swap a 6" hose between have 4" ports and no practical way to change them. I bought a 6" X 4" PVC adapter & a 4" coupling that works with thin wall PVC. I worked the flex hose into the 6" end of the adapter after applying some silicone. I cut several slits in the end of a short length of 4" thin wall PVC and bent the tabs in a little so the 4" end of the adapter would slide over them. I then fastened the other end of the short length of 4" PVC to each machine I wanted to share the hose. I figured with the friction and turbulence of a 6" flex hose I wasn't giving up much airflow using 4" fittings.

JP6.JPG
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 02-13-2015 at 8:27 AM.

try a wrap or two of electrical tape on the tool dust port and see if the flex line stays on better.
    Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

Good to see people trying to integrate 6" into their systems where they can. You might try some pipe wrap insulation tape as well. It won't do much of anything by itself but it will fill voids nicely and there is enough tackiness there so that you will get some holding capability out of it as well.

Hi Peter.

I also have a small shed with machines connected individually to a shared 6" flex. I rebuilt my machine outlets with a tapered spigot which allows for easy fitting of the flex which then pulls itself firmly onto the taper under the force of the vacuum. As this connection is on the suction side of the system there is no need for a perfect seal as it is impossible for there to be any dust lost.

My new inlets were made from fibreglass which enable me to get the tapered spigot exactly as I wanted it. Those using steel or PVC could create the same sort of taper by building up the base of the spigot with PVC tape or similar. Another tip for those using PVC ducting is to purchase oversize flex to suit PVC OD which is generally about 6 3/8".

planer part installed 2.jpgplaner part installed 3.jpgthicknesser transition 1.jpgthicknesser transition 2.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Campbell View Post
    My new inlets were made from fibreglass ...
    Tim ... those are impressive ... did you make those? Do you have the molds?
    Last edited by Chris Padilla; 02-16-2015 at 11:02 PM.

Bill,

Thanks for your kind works. Yes, these were built by me and I still have the moulds. Also my fiberglass cyclone which is visible in the background in the first two images.

If any one is interested I'll start a new thread on the cyclone ?

Regards, Tim

The Rockler Dust Right system uses a quick disconnect. Moves a 6" hose easily from one machine to another.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

Penn State Industries makes metal quick disconnects up to 6". I've been using their 4" and 6" ones for several years and they've worked great. They're under their premium ductwork section. In 6" the male is $17 and the female is $15. Not cheap but not flimsy either.
    Jim in Alaska
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Oneida has them. They cost about $17 each for male and female. I have them on my system and they work well. My center trunk is shared by my bandsaw, tablesaw and disk/OOS sander.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Campbell View Post
    If any one is interested I'll start a new thread on the cyclone ?
    Yes please!