Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Surface planer question

Surface planer question

I scored some free oak shelving boards from the local library that are stained and finished with varnish or poly. I would like to run these through my surface planer to remove the finish prior to reuse, however, I have just put new blades in the machine and am wondering if the finish will ruin them. Anyone care to comment? Your input welcome. Bob
    Life's too short to use old sandpaper.

I would strip them first or run them through a drum sander, ruined sandpaper is cheaper than replacing planer blades.
    George

Making sawdust regularly, occasionally a project is completed.

Sounds good, except I don't have a drum sander and stripper is time consuming and messy. Thanks for the thought.

I've done this many times with used lumber. The paint, shellac, varnish, etc are all softer than any wood you're ever going to plane. No harm at all.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Jim Mackell
    Arundel, ME

I would suggest NOT running them through a drum sander even if you had one. I would guess that your paper would gum up and burn by the time you saw the first board come out the other side.

i have done it a number of times with no issues but only after making sure there is no dirt/metal embedded - but i have a helical cutter with carbide edges so not sure how applicable that is to your steel planer knives

I would take a handheld power sander to them myself rather than run them through a planer. Do you have a belt sander or a ROS? Certainly a planer is faster but go real gentle on the dial so you minimize the amount of wood removed.
    Wood: a fickle medium....

Did you know SMC is user supported? Please help.

I wouldn't be at all concerned about dried finish damaging planer blades, and I'd feel better about the dust collector taking away the chips than having a handheld sander putting it in the air.

I'd use a Festool ROS. Zero dust.

Thanks guys. I'm mostly a hand tool guy, so I think I'll try one of my smoothing planes first and see how that goes. Thanks for your ideas. Bob

Scraper, Bob!! Tune it up and you should be able to take that finish right off.

Blog Entries
    I think it might depend on the finish. I tried planing the solid exterior stain off some cedar & it dulled the blades after about 50 linear feet. I know it wasn't a dirt issue because they had never even been outside; it was some surplus that I stained years before & never needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Glenn View Post
    Sounds good, except I don't have a drum sander and stripper is time consuming and messy. Thanks for the thought.
    I cannot see an issue - assuming you have reasonable dust collection. I can't see how varnish woudl damage planer blade steel - nor dull it more than, say, oak.

IF there is dirt and grit on the surfaces, though - I'd take an ROS to it with 30g - 60g, one fairly quick pass, just to strip off the surface 3 jink.

Then - let 'er rip......ummmm.........errr.......plane.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Padilla View Post
    I'd use a Festool ROS. Zero dust.
    Chris at home, relaxing after work:

When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Try a painter's scraper.

If the finish comes off easily, a planer should manage.
    If the finish is powdery, or tacky - it may melt onto the blades.