Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winter Blues

Winter Blues

Anyone tired of the winter blues? Time for it to end? Technically it's called SAD in the diagnostic manual. Today is just yucky.

For us it's not SAD, just the snow. We've had over 7 feet in the last 2 1/2 weeks. It is snowing now with a little one of only 1-2 inches and we are supposed to get another foot on Sunday. Here in NH we are used to the snow but not usually so much in such a short time.
    Dave Anderson

Chester, NH

I know what you mean, it was 75° yesterday and only got up to 55° today....

We're going through a heat wave out here - it's 90 degrees right now - in February! I wish you could send some of that precipitation to us.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Lynch the groundhog.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    I hope you lose a flip flop while walking through a prickly pear patch.
    Ice dams, rookie snowplow drivers and half the cars with "all season"
    tires in the ditch. I must live in the least prepared backward of New England.

It's as if everyone is surprised when Winter comes, every year.

Rich, aren't you a psychologist? Try looking at it in a different way. February 4 or 5 is the true tried and true start of spring. Using the cross quarter days to define the seasons puts the seasonal extremes where they make sense ,the middle
    of the season. It's early spring and I have an Arnold "Promise" witch hazel tree which will bloom soon and sometimes starts blooming on the first day of spring. Buy some early spring plants,they won't be at the Borg . Please remit check for
    60$, Sincerely , Doc Mel

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Anderson NH View Post
    For us it's not SAD, just the snow. We've had over 7 feet in the last 2 1/2 weeks.
    Holy smokes, 7' of snow in 2.5 weeks is crazy.

Forget SAD, I'd be DISGUSTED.

SAD stands for Seasonal Affective Disorder. Long and short of it is that folks get depressed after a string of bad weather and particularly this time of year. Some call it the February dull times. March isn't much better with it warming at the end of march and getting all muddy. Yes, I am a psychologist by profession but prefer woodworker by choice. If that makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    Anyone tired of the winter blues? Time for it to end? Technically it's called SAD in the diagnostic manual. Today is just yucky.
    You ain't seen nothing yet. Big clipper coming down. Should be in your backyard by Monday.
    Never, under any circumstances, consume a laxative and sleeping pill, on the same night

I know what SAD is ,and psychology does work. Try it! And post again....waiving my fee...that's all I can do for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich Riddle View Post
    SAD stands for Seasonal Affective Disorder. Long and short of it is that folks get depressed after a string of bad weather and particularly this time of year. Some call it the February dull times. March isn't much better with it warming at the end of march and getting all muddy. Yes, I am a psychologist by profession but prefer woodworker by choice. If that makes sense.
    Yeah, I know, I was horsing around.

I can tell you that since I started taking vitamin D, I suffer far less from SAD.

It has been a few years now since a doctor friend explained why I should be taking vitamin D supplements.

But one thing is sort of interesting.

My "lows" in the winter are a thing of the past

But my "highs" in the summer sort of are, too. Sitting in a chair in the sun, sipping a beer, I don't get that same "this is alright" feeling I used to.

Must be a relative thing, not having had a SAD winter, I guess I don't expect my summer to compensate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Huber View Post
    Lets talk about that in August. We will be well below zero tonight, but I will take that over 95* and 100% humidity any day.

Quote Originally Posted by Myk Rian View Post
    You ain't seen nothing yet. Big clipper coming down. Should be in your backyard by Monday.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent A Bathurst View Post
    Always with the negative waves, Moriarty.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIQPkCR4E6k
    This Kelley's Heros clip may be your new theme song, Myk.
    When I started woodworking, I didn't know squat. I have progressed in 30 years - now I do know squat.

Quote Originally Posted by Phil Thien View Post
    Yeah, I know, I was horsing around.

I can tell you that since I started taking vitamin D, I suffer far less from SAD.

It has been a few years now since a doctor friend explained why I should be taking vitamin D supplements.

But one thing is sort of interesting.

My "lows" in the winter are a thing of the past

But my "highs" in the summer sort of are, too. Sitting in a chair in the sun, sipping a beer, I don't get that same "this is alright" feeling I used to.

Must be a relative thing, not having had a SAD winter, I guess I don't expect my summer to compensate.

Amen to the Vitamin D!! Makes a world of difference for me in the winter. That, and I drive a plow truck for a friend who is a landscaper. It's kind of fun, though it can be stressful at times. So I'm used to going out in the thick of it at all hours of the day or night. But I've never had to deal with more than about 15" of snow from one storm. I'm a bit curious what it would be like to get 3' of snow in one shot (the surrounding area would surely be shut down for days).
    Jason

"Don't get stuck on stupid." --Lt. Gen. Russel Honore