Thread: Small CNC for Trophy Bases

Small CNC for Trophy Bases

Hi to All,

I'm considering purchasing a small cmc router machine for making trophy bases (MDF mostly).

I've got a few specifications it would need to meet, and would appreciate any recommendations / input from members here.

My requirements are...
    1- Would like to use coreldraw for basic 2d work, am unsure if I would have to go 3d ?.
    2- Bed area / tool travel area around 450mm / 18 inches square.
    3- I already have a new Kress 6990E router / motor unit with mounting hardware, so could perhaps save a few $ there.
    4- Am based in Australia, so local would be nice, bot not critical.

Any info appreciated,

Regards,
    Chris
    HARDWARE - Macbook Retina Pro - Toshiba Satellite - Epilog Helix 60W Co2 Laser & Rotary - Trotec Speedy 300 Co2 Laser - Gravo IS400 IQ Engraver. - Pcut CTO630 Vinyl Cutter. - Wacom DTF720 Touch / Trace Screen - GKS DC16 Sublimation Press - Chinese 6040 CNC Router
    SOFTWARE - VMware Fusion / Windows 8.1 - Coreldraw X6 - Trotec Job Control 9.4.4.2 - E-cut - Gravostyle 7 - ULS 1Touch Photo - BizzWizz Invoicing / Stock Control / Ledger - VB6 Pro - Mach3 - V-Carve Desktop

2. ChrisHere is my take on CNC routers, buy bigger if you can, you are not limited to small cutting area and you may soon find out you bought way to small machine.Corel you can create designs due to the fact its vector based, you still need to bring it in to CAM software to generate g-code with post processor that will work for your router.

Thanks Thomas,

I'll continue searching, then pick a machine and ask specifically for any advice on that,

cheers,

Chris
    HARDWARE - Macbook Retina Pro - Toshiba Satellite - Epilog Helix 60W Co2 Laser & Rotary - Trotec Speedy 300 Co2 Laser - Gravo IS400 IQ Engraver. - Pcut CTO630 Vinyl Cutter. - Wacom DTF720 Touch / Trace Screen - GKS DC16 Sublimation Press - Chinese 6040 CNC Router
    SOFTWARE - VMware Fusion / Windows 8.1 - Coreldraw X6 - Trotec Job Control 9.4.4.2 - E-cut - Gravostyle 7 - ULS 1Touch Photo - BizzWizz Invoicing / Stock Control / Ledger - VB6 Pro - Mach3 - V-Carve Desktop

Hey Chris, could you post a picture showing a typical trophy base you want to make? I think that would give people a better idea of what machine might be appropriate.

Hi Art,
    Sorry for long delay replying.
    I'm still looking at this whenever I get a chance.

I'll post a pic tomorrow (if I remember)...

cheers...

If you plan on doing just trophy basses I suggest vectric vcarve pro. The vector tools are easier to use than Corel and the toolpath creation and preview is outstanding. I like to do all my vector work in aspire which has the same vector tools and then import into Corel for my laser.

Worth the $600.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Technology Teacher - Techno LC4896 - 2.2Kw Water Cooled Spindle | Moving Table Mill from Omis 3 CMM, 500Lb granite base | Epilog Legend 32 Laser Engraver 40w glass tube

Small CNC

I recently purchased a small cnc from carving-cnc for doing small jobs. I've got 2 large Multicam machines. For a Chinese machine this small machine has exceeded my expectations. It comes with Mach3 (Cracked version, I had a Mach3 license) which Vectric software has a Post Processor for. I got the X4-800 USB model (approx. cut area 11.5" x 15.5" x 3.75") with upgraded drivers and steppers and also went with the 800 watt air cooled 220V spindle. Easy to assemble and setup, it's mostly assembled with the exception of the motors. The USB model is pretty much plug and play. The machine's complete cost was $1750 this included FEDEX frt. from China. They also make a larger machine the X4-1500.

As I mentioned before I cut small jobs that I'd normally do on the larger machines as long as they fit on the X4's table. I do quite a few Custom Beer Tap Handles cut from 5/4 Maple and cut the smaller quantity jobs using this machine, it's very accurate. The one item I thought I'd need to add was limit switches, but after using the machine for awhile I found that they're not really necessary. The fit and finish is very nice on the carving-cnc machines, they only produce these 2 size machines.

The 800 watt spindle is a ER11 collet (max. approx. .25"). the 1500 watt spindle is a ER16 collet (max. approx. .375")

I've attached a few pics.

Neal
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Neal Schlee

Machines:
    ULS X2-660 120 watt SuperSpeed
    Multicam Pro 102 Dual Z CNC Router & Multicam 44 Plus Dual Z CNC Router
    Shop Built Custom CNC Machines
    Mutoh VJ 1204 Wide Format Printer
    55" Laminator
    Graphtec 54" Vinyl Cutter
    Sublimation Equipment
    Sand Blasting Equipment
    Various Woodworking Equipment

Software:
    Aspire, Enroute, Flexi Pro 10.5, CorelDraw X6 to name a few!

I agree with Chris Vcarve Pro is an excellent program, best I have ever used - well worth a look.

Thank you gentlemen for the info.

I'll keep investigating.

Neal :
    Thanks for the pics, thats about what I'm looking at, don't need to go any bigger really, and only need to cut the outline, then possibly route an edge around the top.

thanks again...

I've decided on the machine I would like, is it ok to post a link to the item for sale on Aliexpress so that I can then ask the forum some questions ?

Its a CNC USB 6040, High Speed version with 100mm Z movement, from the company 'Charmhigh', and is $2200 USD including freight to Australia.

Has anyone here used the USB software etc previously ?
    Any warnings on this particular machine ?

I'm ok with electronics and computers / mechanical...

Thanks in advance,
    Chris

I looked up the specifications on the machine you have chosen and they look good to me for what you are wanting to do. The included spindle will perform better than the router you were thinking of using. The drive mechanism is a little slow but I doubt if that will matter to you. Please post your impressions with the machine after spending a little time with it.

I agree with Chris Corin (post above) that Vcarve Pro is a great choice for your application. I must add, though, that I do some complex designs that would be extremely difficult and time consuming to create in Vcarve Pro by itself. I use Corel Draw X7, Adobe Illustrator or Google Sketchup, depending on the situation, to generate the vectors. They will import into Vcarve Pro with very little effort once you gain some experience.

Thank you Art.

OK, so I've ordered the machine, lets see how it all goes, will be in touch...
    Last edited by Chris J Anderson; 04-10-2015 at 12:11 AM.