Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Why do we keep upgrading our tools?

Blog Entries
    For me, an upgrade is usually for a specific purpose. My LN #62 was purchased mostly for use as a shooting plane due to shoulder problems from a long ago cycling accident.

Most of the time when a good plane comes along at a good price, it gets fixed up and sold to raise money to buy tools that are not already in the shop. I tend to sell the Bedrocks and keep the Baileys for myself.

As to having multiple tools it does help at times when I don't want to stop and sharpen or if the two are set up for different uses.

There is also the thought toward my grandchildren. Not sure how many will be interested in having grandpa's tools when I am gone. Have to have enough so there isn't a family splitting dispute.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    Is it just simple minded monkey-ness that I want a new shiny toy? Thats not usually me, and Im certainly not a status-seeker. (You know the type. Theyre in every hobby. They come in and spend a ton just to tell you what they have.)
    I highly doubt that the vast majority of upgraders do it for status or for want only of a shiny toy. Do you know a single person who does it for status? I can't think of one.

I do it for the hope (here's where the debate is) of improving my results. Some will argue that it's the maker not the tool that matters, but in my own world, in my own experience, sometimes the tool improves the results.

In power tools (lathes, bandsaws, tablesaws) I am certain the vast majority of people upgrade their tools (with the exception of Sawstop) for more capacity and precision and as a distant second, bells and whistles.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post

In power tools (lathes, bandsaws, tablesaws) I am certain the vast majority of people upgrade their tools (with the exception of Sawstop) for more capacity and precision and as a distant second, bells and whistles.
    At some point, especially with power tools, they are obsolete. You can put a great tuneup on a handsaw, plane, or chisel and get great results out of a mediocre tool. Your never going to make a basic Craftsman table saw operate like a Powermatic 66 or a Sawstop cabinet saw.

I highly doubt that the vast majority of upgraders do it for status or for want only of a shiny toy. Do you know a single person who does it for status? I can't think of one.
    Hello Prashun! Maybe "status" was a poor choice of words. Perhaps "bragging rights" is closer/better. But sadly yes, I do know a few to whom owning that very expensive tool - and telling me they have it - seems to be more important to them than making nice things with it. So, I just didnt want to come off that way, which is really why I mentioned it.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

The answer to the question "why did you buy this tool" is different if you are a hobbyist or a professional.

the pro answer is "i can make a profit if I buy this tool" - that is - the cost of acquisition will be repaid by improvements in productivity, quality, new service capabilities, etc.

the hobbyist answer is "I had the $$ and wanted it" - that's it - free society & all that.... which means you can toss your fun/discretionary dollars down whatever rabbit hole you choose - i agree with the attitude that the $$ i save by wearing walmart jeans just gets sent to veritas or lie nielsen..... someone else might choose 100$ jeans instead - and the best part is - we are both RIGHT

It's funny. I have more years as a cyclist than I care to mention. I rode my second road bike for over 15 years. If anyone remembers steel frames and downtube friction shifters, that was my ride. That was replaced with a sweet handcrafted Italian job. Loved that bike, and, I appreciated it. Put a lot of miles on it and literally rode the snot out of it. Didn't get my first carbon fiber bike until 2005. Still have it, and it rides as good as the day I got it.

Why bring all this up? Well, in the bike world, I see all types out there. One can buy the top of the line number that the pros ride. Doesn't mean you ARE a pro, or even ride like one. Doesn't matter. I see many who get into cycling because their friend does it. They buy the same high end number, because, they don't know any different. Whatever. I also see a lot of bikes that are 2 years old and for sale because 1) they really don't ride as much as they thought they would, or 2) they have to have the latest go-faster bling. Bully for them. I'll save the discussion about their abilities and road knowledge for another day.

Me? I keep stuff a long time and only replace stuff that gets worn out or broken. Oh sure, I have a lot of "wish list items", but, that's just day dream stuff for down the road.
    Maurice

To the point of the OP, my wife and I have plenty and do not live high on the hog, though we spend on what we like. For her, it is shoes and clothes. For me, it is tools and guns. We do not travel much, though we get extended weekends in multiple times per year, generally to historical places. Older daughters married off, still have a 15 year old at home and she's bound & determined to take over the family business (manufacturing plant).

Again to the point, we do exactly what we enjoy.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Zaffuto View Post
    Older daughters married off, still have a 15 year old at home and she's bound & determined to take over the family business (manufacturing plant).
    She sounds like a smart young lady Tony. Good for her! I hear PA has some pretty good business schools to help her get there.
    Fred

Good discussion

Thanks for all your thoughts, views and ideas guys. After thinking about my personal 'why' all day, I think its a combination of two things you mentioned. First, I really like trying out new tools and Ive been reading how great that Low Angle Jack is for two years. I dont need it. I want to try it out. And second, I like nice things too when I can afford them.

Look forward to hearing more of your views on this topic.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

I don't upgrade. I believe in buying the last tool first. I actually save money that way. It takes me a long time to save and buy tools that way, but I don't have multiples of the same tools.

Nice job on the PM 90, Ron. I have a serious appreciation for OWWM's.
    Jeff

Blog Entries
    I don't have multiples of the same tools.
    You say that as if it is a bad thing.

Though it is understandable for folks who do not want to have more tools than are absolutely needed. For me it is comforting to have some tools that are not so nice that there is a reluctance toward using them on rougher wood or to trim the edge of some linoleum that was glued to the top of a cabinet.

There must be at least ten 1/4" chisels in my shop. Before two get customized with skewed edges there needs to be a few more. Most likely another Stanley socket chisel or a Buck tang chisel so they can be made as a matched set.

As for marking gauges it is convenient to have more than one or even one type. Today one of my old wooden Stanley marking gauges with a slitter tip was used for scribing the edges of rabbets. It isn't the best one for marking across grain.

Though for now it is unlikely any more bench planes will be acquired by me, unless one comes my way at a price that can not be refused. Mostly those are bought to resale.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    She sounds like a smart young lady Tony. Good for her! I hear PA has some pretty good business schools to help her get there.
    Fred
    Penn State, like the rest of us: me, wife, both older daughters, both older daughters husbands, 2 of the older daughters in-laws!

Mechanical engineer, but also wants an MBA.
    If the thunder don't get you, the lightning will.

Blog Entries

I do it for the hope (here's where the debate is) of improving my results. Some will argue that it's the maker not the tool that matters, but in my own world, in my own experience, sometimes the tool improves the results.

I bought a digital mitutoyo micrometer today and without a justifiable reason. I became comfortable working with precision equipment in my late teens and have always felt handicapped without it, but for all intents and purposes completely useless for woodworking, so sometimes there is a 'shiny thing' factor involved.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.

I find myself actually selling tools now. I bought things I thought I needed, but are actually not all that useful in my world. I don't have a lot of duplicates (except marking gauges, compasses, and dividers, but who doesn't?) not even in chisels.

Frankly, part of that is because my "disability" restricts my spending power, so I'm now pretty picky about what I buy. When I buy a tool, I hope it will do its job well, and for a long time. I have a somewhat "Schwarzian" attitude towards tools now. Good tools, and not that many.

so I don't upgrade too much any more. For both philosophical and financial reasons.

oh, and I'm a hack. So I dont need lots of new shiny tools, when the old ones work fine.

also, I don't want my wife to kill me. :-)
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 02-13-2015 at 10:04 PM.
    Paul