Thread: more problems with my J-170

more problems with my J-170

How do I remove the speed change dial. The push button won't fully engage so I need to try and adjust it if possible. Currently I have to wedge a shim between the pin and push button to get the lathe to start. Remember this came out of the local school system and wasn't properly cared for. Any and all help is greatly appreciated.

Where are you putting the shim ? Are you putting the shim inside the head at the safety switch to keep it depressed ? J170 owners manual with exploded diagrams - http://www.vintagemachinery.org/pubs/detail.aspx?id=436 - Item 31 in the first exploded diagram (page 4 of the PDF) is the safety switch , they list it as "push button". I got rid of mine when first had my lathe apart , just need to remember to turn the speed down before turning it off if you have something still in it. For spindle work I only turn the speed down half way before shutting it off.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

It is just wedged between the pin and button to keep the button depressed for startup. After turning up the speed, the shim falls harmlessly to the floor. I must reinstall the shim to startup again. Also there are a few broken splines on the pinion speed change gear (#27 on diagram). This may or may not be an issue. I will see if I can get a picture of it. Basically I just want to try and adjust the pressure on the button. I am mechanically inclined not electrically so doing away with the button is somewhat out of my comfort zone. This machine was originally 3 phase and was converted to single phase 110. Some questionable wiring in there but it seems to run fine.

On mine , part 26 (a roll pin) that holds part 27 (pinion gear) had another larger short roll pin that slid over it on one side . That is what depressed the button. Is there another roll pin over top of one side of part 26 or is it missing ? I don't see that part in the parts listing or diagram.
    I know the voices in my head aren't real but boy do they come up with some good ideas !
    People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand, when it's simply necessary to love. - Claude Monet

Not that I can see from the outside with the covers off.

here is the large pin which is over the pin that holds the pinion gear in place. DSCN0118_zps9ycqqyyw.jpg

The pin holding the pinion gear on sticks out one side and just barely comes through the other side of the pinion gear. Over the long protruding side is the other pin to increase it's diameter so it depresses the button.