Thread: questions about bending ply

questions about bending ply

I have been seeing many wonderful pieces that require bending ply. I have searched the internet, and cannot find any good info on it. I've seen 3/8 bending ply being used on projects, and something called Italian poplar bending ply. Anyone here that can help with info and where i can get it on internet? Thanks
    Last edited by Michelle Rich; 02-14-2015 at 1:39 PM.
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

Having never worked it I have no info on use. Not sure where you are geographically ... Boulter Plywood in Boston area (Cambridge\Charleston) is knowledgeable about plywood and carries one of the best marine ply selections I've seen. I know they also carry "wacky wood" and other unidirectional ply layups which I believe are what's typically used for bending. In fact, searching for "marine or aircraft plywood" might be the ticket to sourcing. Unless memory fails, I've also seen one of the bending plywoods near the aircraft/marine ply stacks at Condons in White Plains, NY. I have no affiliation with either of these outfits except as customer.

http://www.boulterplywood.com
    http://www.condonlumber.net

Received a video this morning from FWW, and there was a video on this system (link below) which I'd never seen before. Might be worth looking into depending on your application.
    http://www.curvomatic.com/
    Last edited by Bill Adamsen; 02-14-2015 at 11:56 AM. Reason: Added curvomatic link

Both 3/8" bending ply and 2 mm Italian bending poplar are available here in San Francisco. Where are you?

I use bending ply once in a while. AFAIK it is pretty readily available across the US---but it is not likely "in stock" at many lumber yards or big box stores. It is a "special order" item. It comes both 4 x 8 (face grain running lengthwise--for a column-type bend) and 8 x 4 (face grain running across-the-width for a barrel-type bend).

I order mine from my local hardwood supplier. You might ask your local lumber dealer, or even a local cabinet shop could help.

the nearest big box store is 100+ miles away, and I have no local lumber suppliers, which is why I asked for online sources. thanks
    Be the kind of woman that when your feet hit the ground each morning, the devil says, "oh crap she's up!"

Tolerance is giving every other human being every right that you claim for yourself.

"What is man without the beasts? If all the beasts are gone, men would die from great loneliness of spirit. For whatever happens to the beasts will happen to man. All things are connected. " Chief Seattle Duwamish Tribe

So where are you?

These guys are in Texas and will ship---but shipping costs will depend on your location

https://www.plywoodcompany.com/appli...home/main.aspx

Around here it is available from places that sell mostly cabinet sheet goods. Not as well known as I would think ,worked
    for a large shop with excellent reputation and the owner had never heard of it, but after I brought in a scrap found plenty
    of uses for it. That was just five years ago. Excellent for elliptical jambs.

thanks Bill for the links..that curvo-matic is quite interesting.

So do you need full 4x8 sheets of the plywood, or can you tolerate fractional sheets? Might make UPS-ing easier.

http://www.macbeath.com/ is where I buy bending poplar. I've only bought it in person, but their website says that they sell over the web. The web site says they can ship plywood up to one quarter sheet. I'm guessing that is because UPS has size limits. Bending poplar comes in two orientations. One bends into a tube 4 feet long, and the other into a tube 8 feet long. The tube is something like a foot in diameter. Perhaps if you choose the 4-foot tube orientations, they can ship you a full sheet by UPS. Give 'em a call and see what they say. Call the Berkeley yard.

Bending plywood is made to bend two ways. One bends the length of the sheet & one bends across the sheet. How much do you need?.