Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Fire extinguisher Clean-Up After Fire

I have halon, water based (AFFF) and dry chem.

First I will use the water based stuff - aimed directly at the fire. Easy to clean up and does not go all over the place. If that is not effective I will use the halon. It is real halon so I don't think I can get any more of it. Last resort is the dry chem. A lot depends upon the type of fire. If it is a large fire then I may go straight to the halon - but how could it get to that point since I am always watching it?

I'm not worried about the halon. I wouldn't be staying in the room after using it, there's plenty of breathable air outside the shop. If I had a CO2 extinguisher I would use that after trying the water based stuff.
    Shenhui 1440x850, 130 Watt Reci Z6
    Gerber Sabre 408

I have halons for both CNC and the laser Sorry for your loss Ed
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

I mentioned moisture to wipe up but that was from using my water spray bottle. I noted that there is no cleanup specifically attributable to CO2, other than the smoke or other by products from your fire.

You didn't get rid of me yet Mike!

Cleaning is done and I am waiting on Epilog support to get their opinion of running a test job with the lid up to see if there are mechanical issues.
    Epilog 40W Mini24, Corel X8 (64-bit), and two big fire extinguishers.

Sorry about your machine Ed.
    Because of your situation I'm going to look into setting up a Co2 gas flood system, using a 10 lb Co2 cylinder and some distribution lines.
    I'm an outside salesman for a welding supply store, so we should have all the parts needed to create something.
    Scott

Im no genious ...
    But I have read many fire "under" cover situations. least resort is that big EPO button.
    my thought is AFTER EPO is a CO2 extrigiser .... fire .. needs 3 legs , fuel, heat,O2.. remove any one .. problem .. half resolved ....Dont mean to sound snarky .. AT ALL ... Im not a "fan" but it is what it is, of using that "AIR ASSIST" to clear "work space" BUT .... I am a fan of using an inert gas on a 2 stage or 2 diffrent regulators one for blowing gas at a "lower PSI " on work space and then using "SOME FLAME/SMOKE" sensor that is independant that will flood the work space if triggerd ....2nd valve DUMPS high volume inert gass into the laser .... I have it in my "mind" how it should work .. havent figured it all out ..... ..Light objects has 2 diffrent gass regulators. yes .. machine will need to be modified - drill a hole in the side or both sides for the dump nozzels .... if your machine is on fire and you open the lid , you introduce more O2 and create "vacume" that a flash effect .. I see it in my mind ..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Marquez View Post
    Sorry about your machine Ed.
    Because of your situation I'm going to look into setting up a Co2 gas flood system, using a 10 lb Co2 cylinder and some distribution lines.
    I'm an outside salesman for a welding supply store, so we should have all the parts needed to create something.
    Scott
    Quote Originally Posted by joe claudio View Post
    Im no genious ...
    But I have read many fire "under" cover situations. least resort is that big EPO button.
    my thought is AFTER EPO is a CO2 extrigiser .... fire .. needs 3 legs , fuel, heat,O2.. remove any one .. problem .. half resolved ....Dont mean to sound snarky .. AT ALL ... Im not a "fan" but it is what it is, of using that "AIR ASSIST" to clear "work space" BUT .... I am a fan of using an inert gas on a 2 stage or 2 diffrent regulators one for blowing gas at a "lower PSI " on work space and then using "SOME FLAME/SMOKE" sensor that is independant that will flood the work space if triggerd ....2nd valve DUMPS high volume inert gass into the laser .... I have it in my "mind" how it should work .. havent figured it all out ..... ..Light objects has 2 diffrent gass regulators. yes .. machine will need to be modified - drill a hole in the side or both sides for the dump nozzels .... if your machine is on fire and you open the lid , you introduce more O2 and create "vacume" that a flash effect .. I see it in my mind ..
    Systems like this have been discussed before... having a flood system, particularly a DIY version, is extremely dangerous, particularly in a small workshop. People can die from asphyxiation. I hate to see a case where the coroner say s"Well, he survived the fire but died watching it get snuffed out."
    Hi-Tec Designs, LLC -- Owner (and self-proclaimed LED guru )

Trotec 80W Speedy 300 laser w/everything
    CAMaster Stinger CNC (25" x 36" x 5")
    USCutter 24" LaserPoint Vinyl Cutter
    Jet JWBS-18QT-3 18", 3HP bandsaw
    Robust Beauty 25"x52" wood lathe w/everything
    Jet BD-920W 9"x20" metal lathe
    Delta 18-900L 18" drill press

Flame Polisher (ooooh, FIRE!)
    Freeware: InkScape, Paint.NET, DoubleCAD XT
    Paidware: Wacom Intuos4 (Large), CorelDRAW X5

I have worked in many large computer rooms with an installed Halon system. Before its discharged a warning light comes on and you have xx Sec's to vacate the room. After the discharge the room is ventilated. A little 10 lb CO2 extinguisher going inside a table or floor mounted laser is not going to be a problem. Ventilate the area. and leave.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Evans View Post
    ...This is the primary reason why Epilog recommends having a Halotron EExtinguishers...
    How big of a unit of a Halotron should I get and where is a good place to purchase one?

Ed

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Maloney View Post
    You didn't get rid of me yet Mike!

Cleaning is done and I am waiting on Epilog support to get their opinion of running a test job with the lid up to see if there are mechanical issues.
    don't want to Ed. your a great customer
    Have a Blessed day,

Michael Kowalczyk

Laser-Trotec Speedy II 60 watt with 9.4.2 job control and will soon upgrade to JC X
    Corel Draw Suite X6, FlexiSign Pro 8.62, AI CS3 and Lasertype6

CNC Routers-Thermwood model C40 with 4th axis. Thermwood Model 42 with dual tables and dual spindles with ATC for high production runs,
    ArtcamPro 2010_SP4, EnroutePro 5.1, BobCad v21 & v24, Aspire v8 and Rhino 5.
    FOTC link
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/friends.php?cp=210&lp=0&t=0&q=

As an update the laser is now up and running. After the fire I find myself even watching the printer that does the mailing labels!

Won't be doing any 3mm acrylic until I get delivery of the Halotron extinguisher though.

We have our air nozzles set at maximum force on our Epilog 36 EXT's. We cut acrylic all day 5 days a week on two of them. It might sound counter intuitive, but blowing high pressure air on the area where we are cutting actually extinguishes flame ups. We have had two fires. Stricly due to lack of maintenance and having a bunch of polystyrene and acrylic build up on the vector grids.

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Maloney View Post
    As an update the laser is now up and running. After the fire I find myself even watching the printer that does the mailing labels!

Won't be doing any 3mm acrylic until I get delivery of the Halotron extinguisher though.
    My CO2 extinguisher will be here Monday. Tried to buy one in town, but as usual no one seemed to stock and if they did order its $30 more than Amazon.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10

Wow - those Halotrons are pretty spendy. I would like to have a couple and hope to never have to use them.

I'm partial to a small spray water bottle and CO2 extinguisher combo.

Detritus was mentioned here or another thread and might be one reason why some see flames under material, especially after a long day of cutting material like acrylic. I like to clean our tables with diluted orange cleaner instead of the Zep Purple.